New laptop or Desktop for school, and Graphic Design.

Options
Modernscapes
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Im looking for a computer for my sister at the moment. she will be starting school this week, but everything will be online. She needs something for school, but mainly for her drawing tablet. she currently has a huion drawing tablet, but would like to eventually get her a wacom intuos Tablet.  She is a very good artist and would like to support her talents. We are currently looking for something under $1000 with monitor and eset 3 year software. I Currently have a powerspec desktop and really like it. It has been a great computer for business and gaming. i have been looking at a b731 but with the added expenses it adds up to $1,000. but if that is the best choice then it will do. 

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    Greeting @Modernscapes

The B731 is a good system with the i7-9700. It gives you plenty of room to upgrade down the road and leaves you a good budget for your monitor. And for a graphics artist you're going to want to put a decent amount there. Before we proceed I do have one question for you.

Why a desktop for this? My first thought reading your description was one of the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo laptops. They're a little higher, but you're going to get the i7, monitor and a drawing tablet all in one. They have a 4K panel that covers about half the  hand-rest that can double as a drawing tablet. You can toggle these screens and draw on either one. It's a pretty cool setup and I'd read some reviews online regarding them.  

As for a separate monitor. I'd probably go for a 27"+ 4K panel. Here's an option: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618548/samsung-u28r550-28-4k-uhd-60hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr-ips-led-monitor
  • TSMikeW said:
    Greeting @Modernscapes

The B731 is a good system with the i7-9700. It gives you plenty of room to upgrade down the road and leaves you a good budget for your monitor. And for a graphics artist you're going to want to put a decent amount there. Before we proceed I do have one question for you.

Why a desktop for this? My first thought reading your description was one of the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo laptops. They're a little higher, but you're going to get the i7, monitor and a drawing tablet all in one. They have a 4K panel that covers about half the  hand-rest that can double as a drawing tablet. You can toggle these screens and draw on either one. It's a pretty cool setup and I'd read some reviews online regarding them.  

As for a separate monitor. I'd probably go for a 27"+ 4K panel. Here's an option: https://www.microcenter.com/product/618548/samsung-u28r550-28-4k-uhd-60hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr-ips-led-monitor
    The asus is not a bad option for down the road, but it ultimately it comes down to cost. I don't have too much money for this but i do have a little. A laptop would be nice, but i really don't know of a laptop that would fit her needs. I don't know of the drawing program she uses. If the desktop is good to start with, i might go with that for now and maybe get her a better laptop down the road. The b731 only has ssd, is it possible to add hdd while also keeping the ssd. so she can save her school files on the hdd instead of the ssd. i will stop by the micro center in Denver and most likely get the b731 for now. Is there another desktop to take into consideration? Any Laptop that would be comparable?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    @Modernscapes

Yes, that case will support a 3.5 HDD and two additional 2.5" SATA SSD's. And the B731 is as good system all around that you can upgrade if you need to. Mainly, get a good 4K monitor pair with it and she should be in good shape for a while.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99