New to Building, What should I upgrade or change

Options
JD3
JD3
First Comment
edited July 2023 in Help Choosing Parts
Just published and built my PC, been having issues with slow frame rates and rubber banding on games.   Do not understand why GPU-Z keeps giving me performance cap errors.  Power and Thermal..

* One thing the build profile doesn't describe is there are 7 fans, 3 in front pulling air in, 3 on top venting air, and 1 on the rear also venting. 

Also the monitors are Sceptre 165Hz 25" and Sceptre 32" curve. Both having 145 fPS settings

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    Greetings @JD3

Please post a list of your components and screenshots of what you're seeing in GPU-Z. We'll look into this for you.
  • JD3
    Options
    CASE- Thermaltake - View 71 RGB ATX Full Tower (Black)
    CASE FANS- Thermal take Pure Plus 7 RGB TT Premium Edition 120mm
    CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHZ
    CPU COOLER- ID-Cooling SE-234-ARGB, 4 Heatpipes CPU Air Cooler 120mm PWM Fan (Arctic MX-4 paste)
    MOBO- Asus X570-E ROG Strix Gaming
    GPU- Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 Super Advanced Overclocked 8GB GDDR6 (ROG-STRIX-RTX 2070S-A8G Gaming)
    RAM-  OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) Warhawk (Red) Aura Sync RGB 3600 MHz
    SSD- 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, Windows 10 Home, Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
    HD- Internal Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 72RPM Sata III 6Gb/s 3.5"
            *External WD 8TB My Book Desktop, USB 3.0
    POWER SUPPLY- Thermaltake Smart Series 700 Watt 80 Plus ATX Non-Modular
    MONITOR 1- Sceptre E255B-1658A 24.5",  165Hz 1Ms AMD Free Sync gaming LED
    MONITOR 2- Sceptre Curved 32" Gaming Monitor, 185Hz-165Hz-144Hz 1Ms, 1920x1080 AMD Free Sync
    ACCESSORIES- Astro Gaming A50 Wireless Headset Series 3
                           * Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard.

I have not seen the Thermal error on GPU-Z since I installed the new ID CPU cooler but here is a picture of the codes and what they mean and the power error I still get.  Hope this what all you need to answer for me.  Thanks again

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    @JD3

Well, looking at it the power cap warning looks normal to me. You see the voltage draw, 47W from the slot and 75W from the PCIe(max on a 6 pin). I assume if you change that to #2 it's also in the same range. That would put you in the 200W range. 2070's load at 200-215 watts, so you really are at 100% TDP. This isn't throttling, this is just the power limit of the card and shouldn't incur any performance issues. 

What are your temps at? Have you monitored the frequencies in a game? Do so in windowed mode, try to correlate if there's a sudden drop in the cards frequency to correspond to your framerate drops. Rubber banding is generally more of an issue with latency than performance.
  • JD3
    Options
    Thanks.... I have my frame rates stay in the 140-150 most of the time... and the temps are usually 40-50 C but have climbed in to high 60s and I haven’t noticed anything concerning at the time of issues I’ve listed.... also I do have a gaming router and 400 MB’s connection speed... just wanted to make sure I wasn’t bottle necking or damaging anything... I also assumed it was prolly the Internet provider but wanted to make sure... thanks again   
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99