B450 motherboard for Ryzen 5 3400G

Options
I'm getting ready to order a Ryzen 5 3400G, motherboard and RAM.  I'm leaning toward a B450 motherboard because I prefer DVI-D over displayport, and I don't like chipset fans.  Can I assume that any B450 motherboard in stock has a recent enough BIOS that it supports the 3400G?  Are there any specific B450 motherboards I should avoid or prefer for the 3400G?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    Greetings @Grant_E

It's a safe assumption. BIOS would of came out last May. The boxes should be marked, but this hasn't been an issue for us for a long time.
  • Grant_E
    Options
    Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. From reading the manual it looks like I can update BIOS (if needed) without even installing a CPU.  Did I read that that correctly?  The MSI website lists G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVKB as supported at 3200MHz for 3x00G Picasso and Tomahawk Max motherboard, so I think I'm set.
  • Grant_E
    Options
    FWIW, the Tomahawk Max motherboard I picked up on Friday in Minneapolis did indeed have the latest BIOS and recognized both the Ryzen 5 3400G APU and the G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVKB SDRAM.  After enabling the X-AMP profile in the BIOS setup and rebooting, the RAM is running happily at 3200MHz.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Grant_E said:
    FWIW, the Tomahawk Max motherboard I picked up on Friday in Minneapolis did indeed have the latest BIOS and recognized both the Ryzen 5 3400G APU and the G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVKB SDRAM.  After enabling the X-AMP profile in the BIOS setup and rebooting, the RAM is running happily at 3200MHz.
    Great to hear! Pretty much all the 400-series boards should have the right BIOS at this point so I'm not surprised. Let us know if you have any other questions!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99