Custom PC Randomly Restarts With Limited Information in the Event Viewer

Options
Hi everyone! 🙋‍♂️

My name is Todd (aka Toro).  I'm new around here 😅
(I plan on going over to the "New Members" section after this to formally introduce myself.)

I'm having a serious problem with my PC build.  This was my first build (SO fun!), and it's lasted about one year with little to no issues.  Its main use is as a single PC gaming/streaming setup.  Within the last 6 months or so, it began randomly restarting itself.  This only happened once every 3-4 weeks or so.  But, lately it's been happening more frequently (about 2-3 times a week).  And, it happens under a variety of circumstances.  Sometimes, it's under heavy load gaming/streaming.  Other times, it's while I'm simply browsing the internet.

I was introduced to the Event Viewer by some local PC building friends of mine as a way of getting information about why the system restarts itself.  But, as far as I can tell, there's nothing worth noting in there when it happens.  And, I don't get any error message or BSOD either when it happens.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be?  Or, at least, where to start troubleshooting?

PC Specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE
Memory - GeIL EVO SPEAR 16GB
SSD - ADATA Ultimate SU650 960GB
HDD - Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB
Video Card - GIGABYTE Geforce RTX 2060
Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300
Power Supply - CORSAIR CX Series™ CX750M 750W
Case Fans - CORSAIR Air Series™ AF120 LED (2018) White 120mm Fan Triple Pack

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    The first thing I'd check would be CPU and GPU thermals. Shut downs like this can be caused by overheating and it's easy to check your temperatures by running a monitoring program like CoreTemp or Ryzen Master. 

As a rule I'd also redownload your motherboard drivers, and do a clean reinstall of your video card drivers using DDU

RAM related issues will typically cause a BSOD, but it may be worth running the Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86 to scan for hardware issues with your memory. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    The first thing I'd check would be CPU and GPU thermals. Shut downs like this can be caused by overheating and it's easy to check your temperatures by running a monitoring program like CoreTemp or Ryzen Master. 

As a rule I'd also redownload your motherboard drivers, and do a clean reinstall of your video card drivers using DDU

RAM related issues will typically cause a BSOD, but it may be worth running the Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86 to scan for hardware issues with your memory. 
    I'm sorry, I should've included that in the original post! I just ran Heaven Benchmark on max settings yesterday for about 15 minutes to see if temps showed anything concerning.  But, it ran like a champ! Temps stays well within safe levels.

Also, I've redownloaded mobo drivers and updated BIOS.  And, I always do a clean install for any new video card drivers.

Memtest also came back clear 😓

Thank you for responding to my thread! If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to include other ideas!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Alright. Have you done anything as far as rebuilding the PC? I've had issues kind of like this before and fixed them by re-doing power connections, reseating RAM, video card, etc... It may be worth it to do a reset/refresh or clean reinstall of Windows if all else fails. 

Do you have any other components available that you can switch in and out? If this is a hardware related issue, my first instinct would probably be power supply, though it's hard to say for sure. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99