Need Help Choosing Parts

Options
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice??  Would you guys recommend anything or down sizing??  All I plan on doing is playing games no streaming.. Fortnite, minecraft, runescape, LOL, dota, hyper scape, call of duty, any Br games lots of tabs open and running 3 screens.
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=efc9ca70-0035-48ac-8c9c-cc8fa67faa0e

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2020
    Options
    If you're ONLY gaming, then there's definitely some changes I'd make. The main thing being the CPU. Intel still holds the edge over AMD in gaming scenarios so we can easily switch in something like an i5-10600k and make an improvement there. You also don't need to spend that much on a motherboard unless it has specific features you're looking for. 32GB of RAM is overkill, 16GB is plenty for gaming and you don't really need an 850W PSU unless you're running a dual GPU system. Other changes to make would be either switching out the case or the CPU cooler, since the H510i doesn't support 360mm radiators. With all those changes, we can potentially stretch all the way up to an RTX 2080 Super for your video card while staying near the budget you set. 

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=fc117230-59b1-4f7c-91fd-d1ca3e9ac9b8

This comes out only about $70 more expensive than the build you posted but in return you get some pretty significant gains in gaming performance. 
  • Mammth
    Options
    I am new to building so thank you for helping me but maybe you can help me a little more??  I have only been doing research on AMD so I know nothing about Intel.  I have a few questions and a few different recommendations to help you help me choose my build lol.  Ok so we switch to i5, my mother board can we change because I would like to have wifi built in? Down size to 16GB of ram which that is one thing I knew I was going over board on but some little voice in my head kept saying 32GB lol.  Does it matter if we keep the 850W psu since its only 30$ more? Is it a bad thing having more power for the future upgrades just in case?  Help me pick a case and new cpu cooler because I want the desktop to match and look good lol.  I am not too worried about price but what else would I need for protection software for the desktop also is that the correct windows 10 and is the 2TB SSD an ok choice because again i am also thinking about the future I want this computer to last me a long time with minimal upgrades?  Again thank you for helping me do you work at microcenter? 
  • Mammth
    Mammth
    First Comment
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Would it be beneficial to switch to i7?  Also is it ok to go overkill on 32GB of ram since the price is not that much more?  I am ok with being a little overkill I just want to be prepared for what ever I want to do with my pc in the future.
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @Mammth

Overkilling is fine as more triple AAA games get more resource heavy... though the same can't be said with more E-Sport title games.  E-Sports games are generally designed for mass-appeal and will have pretty low hardware requirement to play, examples being games like League of Legends, VALORANT, Fortnite, Rocket League, etc.  

Here is my take on the build; https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=fda4ad4c-9339-4c59-a67e-1e4b86194fdc 

I changed the RAM to the White versions of the Corsair Vengeance x2 for 32Gb for the full white build, upgraded the PSU to the white 850W as well.  Switched the motherboard to a motherboard with built in WiFi as well as switched the CPU to an i7.  The only other change I would do is changing the case from the NZXT H510 to the Corsair 220T (White) or the Corsair 465X (White).  I love the H510 but since a majority of the parts are Corsair, it is convenient to have all your RGB in one controllable RGB Software.. Corsair's iCUE.  I do know the 220T is a bit smaller and the 465X is a bit pricier.  
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Mammth said:
    I am new to building so thank you for helping me but maybe you can help me a little more??  I have only been doing research on AMD so I know nothing about Intel.  I have a few questions and a few different recommendations to help you help me choose my build lol.  Ok so we switch to i5, my mother board can we change because I would like to have wifi built in? Down size to 16GB of ram which that is one thing I knew I was going over board on but some little voice in my head kept saying 32GB lol.  Does it matter if we keep the 850W psu since its only 30$ more? Is it a bad thing having more power for the future upgrades just in case?  Help me pick a case and new cpu cooler because I want the desktop to match and look good lol.  I am not too worried about price but what else would I need for protection software for the desktop also is that the correct windows 10 and is the 2TB SSD an ok choice because again i am also thinking about the future I want this computer to last me a long time with minimal upgrades?  Again thank you for helping me do you work at microcenter? 
    Mammth said:
    Would it be beneficial to switch to i7?  Also is it ok to go overkill on 32GB of ram since the price is not that much more?  I am ok with being a little overkill I just want to be prepared for what ever I want to do with my pc in the future.
    Yes, I do work for Micro Center. All the members on the forum that are Admins or Moderators are Micro Center employees. 

Obviously we don't know what performance will look like in games 5 years from now. Now that consoles are moving to 8-core/16 thread processors we may finally see games truly being able to utilize multi-core performance, in which case the i7 would be more "future proof." Or we may not and you'll just have needlessly spent more on a CPU you can't fully utilize. The same goes for any other components. 32GB of RAM may be a requirement in the future, but it's unlikely to be anytime soon considering that even now 8GB is enough to game on provided you're not running a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time. GPUs may have higher power draw in the future, but we may see them become more efficient instead. We just don't know what we don't know. 

Of course, if you're planning on using the system for other things besides gaming that are more RAM or CPU heavy at some point, you'll want that extra overhead. I'm basing this on the idea that this is only a gaming/general use PC, and not for something else like video editing, 3D rendering, code compiling, etc...

It's your build and you should put together something that you can be satisfied with, there's nothing wrong with "future-proofing" or going a little overboard. 
  • Mammth
    Options
    Ok so now we know a build that is over kill, can you guys pick out another full build with wifi and looks dont matter including the software and protection where i can just play games around 1500$
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    Greetings @Mammth

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=445251e8-1376-4946-a906-bf25c7bd8bea

Reconfigured your original build a little bit. Drop the board down to an ASUS TUF X570 with WIFI. The CPU to a Ryzen 5 3600 and kept the GPU. Also removed the liquid cooler. If you're not overclocking, you don't need it. Came in aright around $1500.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99