ASUS B550-F ROG LAN issue

Merely curious if anyone else has seen this issue...
An ASUS B550-F ROG Strix Gaming motherboard, when you connect the LAN, there are no activity lights. However, this is when the device is connected directly to the router (ATT Uverse). If I connect the same LAN port to a switch, it works fine. Multiple ports on the router have been tested, along with multiple CAT5e's and CAT6 cables. 

A rather weird one. 

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    This is definitely odd. Have you tried any troubleshooting on the router itself like factory resetting it or doing a firmware update? It may also be worth it to clear your CMOS on the motherboard and update the BIOS if that doesn't fix it. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    This is definitely odd. Have you tried any troubleshooting on the router itself like factory resetting it or doing a firmware update? It may also be worth it to clear your CMOS on the motherboard and update the BIOS if that doesn't fix it. 
    I have not done a factory reset or firmware update on the router. But, that is mainly since two other computers, directly connected to the router, work. Again, very odd. 

However, I did update the BIOS on the ASUS B550-F. ASUS support say to RMA the board. But, obviously doing so, I would be without said computer for a while. Still thinking about next steps. A few choices: 
    1. RMA to ASUS, and wait
    2. Return the board to Micro Centre, and either grab the same model, or a different board all together (bought it on 21st Aug 2020).
    3. Simply purchase a 1GB PCIE NIC card. Don't need it this minute, since I am currently connected to my switch (Linksys). 
    So... 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Since you're within the 15 day return period you could definitely return the board if you would like to. If the issue persists with a new board, then you're either A) extremely unlucky or B ) something else is causing this issue. 
  • Update: I just installed a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P, and connected my ASUS B550-F directly to it, and it works. Clearly something on the ATT Uverse router is causing the issue. Flipping weird. 

Thanks for all the tips! @TSTonyV
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always happy to help! 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE