Tom (CAT is short for Catastrophe) - New here

Options
Hey All,
I'm new to this forum community thing, so go easy on me if I make a bunch of dumb mistakes as I try this out.
A little bit about myself, I am not that savvy of a techie.  CAT is short for catastrophe as I am an insurance nerd who worries about large hurricanes/earthquakes/tornadoes.   I love video games and I was running on an older system that my buddy built for me in 2011 (Upgraded to GTX 970, RAM, CPU and MOBO in 2014).   That rig just died, so I have been on my own to upgrade.  Did a bunch of research and have landed on the PowerSpec G464.   My plan was to go efficient with the 5700 XT, get a solid machine around it and then upgrade the GPU in a few years when technology gets better, but I must say I am disappointed in the benchmarks I get relative to a few of my buddies who just got new computers.   I am regretting not having the 2080 Super.   But I'll fix that down the road.  Also need a new monitor, my Acer P243W is super old.   

Anyway the computer has been running great and it's an absolutely beautiful machine.  Love that i landed with PowerSpec as my buddy bought Alienware and I just think it looks terrible.   My only complaint is that i have had a few random restarts, Windows has failed probably 5 times or failed to awake from sleep when playing Steam games over the last 3 weeks of usage.   So not terrible, but not ideal.   I'll refrain from posting any specifics here, rather in a tech support chat.   But thought I would say hi and try this community thing out.
Cheers,
-Tom

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello @Tom_CAT! Welcome to the Community. 

The 5700XT is a great performing card but the 2080 Super is definitely in a tier above it. The 5700XT is really a competitor between the 2060 Super and 2070 Super. Make sure you've got your drivers all updated and that you're not running in low-power mode or anything like that in the Radeon settings just in case. Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. Definitely hit us up in Tech Support and we'd be happy to help you try and figure out what's going on. 

• Tom_CAT
    Options
    Hey @TSTonyV,
    LOL....good tip on the drivers.   My monitor needed to be updated.   After making sure they were all updated, I am still having the issue unfortunately.   Seems to be when I am playing steam and leave the computer on for 10 or 15 minutes; the screen freezes up and I have to hard to restart to fix.   Unless you have any easy ideas, I'll keep looking online and drop a post over to tech support.

• Ian
    Options
    Tom_CAT said:
    Hey @TSTonyV,
    LOL....good tip on the drivers.   My monitor needed to be updated.   After making sure they were all updated, I am still having the issue unfortunately.   Seems to be when I am playing steam and leave the computer on for 10 or 15 minutes; the screen freezes up and I have to hard to restart to fix.   Unless you have any easy ideas, I'll keep looking online and drop a post over to tech support.

If that didn't help, we'd suggest trying a clean install of your drivers. We have a step-by-step guide for that here on our community forums at https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10#latest 
  • Tom_CAT
    Tom_CAT ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Ian said:
    If that didn't help, we'd suggest trying a clean install of your drivers. We have a step-by-step guide for that here on our community forums at https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10#latest 
    @TSTonyV @Ian
    Ok, I think I dialed in on the problem.  I would walk away from my computer for a few minutes with the game on and my computer would go to sleep.   Upon reboot, there was occasionally an issue with Steam connecting with the GPU which required a hard restart to fix.   So i just turned off sleep and haven't had an issue yet.   User error I guess.  Thanks for the help!!!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    I wouldn't call that user error, sounds like a weird issue with sleepstate in Windows or maybe something with the Steam service, but honestly I'd probably just do the same thing in your position. Disable sleep, since I don't really need to worry about that anyway. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99