Budget Blender Computer That Can Be Upgraded

Options
Budget: $440 (including tax)
Purpose: very basic computer to start learning the 3D modeling program Blender. I want to be able to upgrade the computer as I become more proficient in Blender.
Requirements:
Recommended
  • 64-bit quad core CPU
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Three button mouse or pen+tablet
  • Graphics card with 4 GB RAM
I put this parts list together, although I had to start with only 8GB RAM to stay in my budget. https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=378c2a11-bad6-4bb1-93c2-2136b7144695

What I would eventually like to upgrade to:
Requirements:
Optimal
  • 64-bit eight core CPU
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Full HD displays
This is the parts list I think might work (including replacing the processor): https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=93107fed-e201-49f8-b9cb-73745f9600ef

Do you think my first parts list will work? Will I be able to upgrade my build (a part at a time) to the second build?

Comments

• Ian
    Options
    Greetings. The first parts list will work, but if the program is needing a video card with 4GB of VRAM, you are missing that so I am not sure how well the program will do without that.

There is for sure upgrade room on your first build on the CPU, RAM, hard drives and video card.
  • Brian_G
    Brian_G
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thanks for answering.
    I didn't mention the "minimum" requirements. Blender will run without a dedicated video card, but not well. I plan to add the card before I try to render anything. I hope to upgrade in increments: video card, then processor, then add RAM, another SSD, and finally an HD just for storage. The video card will cost as much as my initial build, so that will take the longest to add. Somewhere in that time I hope to buy a 1920 x 1080 monitor (my current monitor is 1280 x 1024 which only meets minimum requirements).
  • JS_MC
    Options
    @Brian_G I think you're set for a solid upgrade path. Today's announcement from NVIDIA may change some of your upgrade choices.
  • Brian_G
    Options
    @LandShark I saw the announcement. Incredible, and very tempting.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99