Pc crashing help

Options
so lately my pc has been crashing somewhat in frequently and very random . most of the time it gives me event ID 161 error creating dump file. other day it gave me bugcheck dpc watchdog violation. i have updated my bios to most recent and all my drivers and even updated windows to 2004 and the crashing still persists. even replaced my ram to see if that was it but no dice. any help would be greatly appreciated.  usually what happens during crash is screen goes black and i have to press power or sometime whatever is on screen will stay there until i hit power, all my tower lights etc stay on. 
spec are:
i7 8700k
32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 3200 MH
Asus Maximus X Code Z370
Asus Rog Strix 2080 Ti
Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M2
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
WD Blue 1TB
Corsair 850RM PSU

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetings @shady16

Sounds like your drive isn't accessible. Explains the freezing or hard locking and the inability to write dump files to it. Do you have running programs installed on secondary drives? I would watch out for this. Go down to one drive and test. Preferably throw Windows on another drive and see if that resolves the problem.
  • shady16
    shady16
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    TSMikeW said:
    Greetings @shady16

Sounds like your drive isn't accessible. Explains the freezing or hard locking and the inability to write dump files to it. Do you have running programs installed on secondary drives? I would watch out for this. Go down to one drive and test. Preferably throw Windows on another drive and see if that resolves the problem.
    i have ran chkdsk on all and checked smart data on all my drives and i tried hard disk sentinel which reads all my drives are healthy. ive also ran sfc /scannow and have ran a dism to fix that event ID 161 all to no avail. im going to try again to reinstall windows tomorrow with my new USB i got. oh yeah forgot to mention last tuesday i tried to reinstall windows, but i couldn't get my pc to boot into USB and even froze in bios twice.  also i can go 3 days and be fine then i get 2-3 crashes in a row then after those im fine for the rest of the day or night.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @shady16

Freezing in the BIOS is interesting. Did it freeze in the BIOS, on after POST when it was trying to boot to your flash drive? Barring that with a bad drive that becomes unresponsive, it'll pass diagnostics. The only failure you'll ever get is if it happens during the diagnostic, you'll get a timeout.
  • shady16
    Options
    TSMikeW said:
    @shady16

Freezing in the BIOS is interesting. Did it freeze in the BIOS, on after POST when it was trying to boot to your flash drive? Barring that with a bad drive that becomes unresponsive, it'll pass diagnostics. The only failure you'll ever get is if it happens during the diagnostic, you'll get a timeout.
    it froze while navigating the bios. though when i cleared cmos that seemed to have clear up. i am going to be trying a reinstall of windows to see if that corrects it and to eliminate software all together
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @shady16

Good plan. Let us know where you are with it and we'll see what we can do if the issues persist.
  • shady16
    Options
    TSMikeW said:
    @shady16

Good plan. Let us know where you are with it and we'll see what we can do if the issues persist.
    well reinstalling windows did not help pc still crashed with event 161 volmgr Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. at this point im at a total loss at what it could be.. and i dont have the funds to just keep replacing hardware
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Likely hardware related then, it's just a matter of narrowing it down. 

First thing I would do is try a single stick of memory at a time to rule those out. After that, try disconnecting all your drives except one with Windows and leave it by itself. I would also try installing Windows on a different drive entirely and try running with it by itself. 
  • shady16
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    Likely hardware related then, it's just a matter of narrowing it down. 

First thing I would do is try a single stick of memory at a time to rule those out. After that, try disconnecting all your drives except one with Windows and leave it by itself. I would also try installing Windows on a different drive entirely and try running with it by itself. 
    the ram i have is brand new bought it a few days ago to see if it would fix my issue.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Hard to say without swapping out other hardware then. If you'd like, you can always bring the system to your local Micro Center. The service desk can run diagnostics on your computer to figure out what's wrong. Diagnostics are $39.99
  • shady16
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    Hard to say without swapping out other hardware then. If you'd like, you can always bring the system to your local Micro Center. The service desk can run diagnostics on your computer to figure out what's wrong. Diagnostics are $39.99
    i have considered that but my system is hard to transport. using the corsair 570x so its all tempered glass and my gpu is vertical mounted. and i unfortunately can't completely remove the display cables from the gpu without unmounting it
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99