CPU overheating, jumps from 60C to 90C instantly

Options
cdotlu
cdotlu ✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
hi everyone! this is my first post and my first pc build. I put it together last Sunday, 8/30 and have been monitoring it since. 

i'm struggling with my cpu temperature and it keeps overheating. with a simple web browse, it jumps to 75C. 

When idle it’s at 65-70C.

compared to my friends, they're at 44C. when i did some 3D renders, it jumps to over 95C when it should be under 80C.

i bought a kraken m22, all the fans are on. i plugged the cable into CPU_OPT but should i insert into AIO_PUMP instead?

i am curious if the issue is thermal paste. after i got the pc booted, i did some cable management. i did lift the cooler and re-positioned it so the tubes aren't so bent. i'm planning to buy to clean/reapply again but is there any other suggestions for trouble shooting?

even typing this post it goes up to 80C :(
thanks for the help in advance!

[EDIT] I cleaned and reapplied thermal paste. now the idle is at 45-55C. Seems to be working much better?

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Sounds like the CPU cooler was making poor contact, or you did not have a sufficient amount of thermal paste on the cooler for proper heat transfer. Both of those things can cause issues with temperature. Keep an eye on them for a bit to see if anything else weird happens but you should be good to go now. 
  • cdotlu
    Options
    Thank you! The Kraken m22 came with the case already applied but something is def off. 

In the bios, it is now 44C. When I boot it up it ranges 50-65C if I open chrome and other stuff. For now, i hope this sounds normal. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's okay to see occasionally spikes, the main thing is going to be what kind of consistent temperatures you get when running something more intense like a video game. I think you're probably alright, but keep an eye on things and check back with us if you have any updates. 
  • cdotlu
    Options
    hey TSTonyV! really appreciate the help! i set my kraken m22 light to reflect the temperature. i haven't play any games yet but i did some 3D renders and it barely hit 70C. so far so good :)
    thanks again!!! will do.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great! That's definitely a big improvement. Enjoy your new PC!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99