New PC build won't boot

Options
pao
pao
First Comment
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
Hi all,
I just built myself a PC and it's not booting up. I've followed the troubleshooting thread, and there haven't been any changes. The lights on the motherboard and the fans start up for half a second, and then turn off again. Here's a video: https://imgur.com/kGNvLhf
Here's my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ppiichi/saved/#view=g6p7XL
I've reseated every part, unplugged and replugged every cable, and made sure everything is where it belongs. I've removed the GPU, and one RAM stick, and it behaves the same. I think at this point my motherboard is just damaged, but I'd like someone with more experience to corroborate this. This is my first build and it's hard to find specific information online, so any help is really appreciated.
Edit: I've just replaced the motherboard and was extremely careful not to damage it in any way, and I still have the same issue.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    There shouldn't be any compatibility issues based on your parts list. One other thing I would try is jumping your motherboard. Disconnect the front-panel cables, then touch the metal end of a screwdriver to the power pins on the front-panel header, as demonstrated in this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPZlliGqBw

If your system powers on when you do this that means either the front panel cables weren't connected properly something is wrong with the power button on your case. It may also be worthwhile to do an out-of-box POST test. Remove the board from the case and put it on a flat non-conductive surface like a cardboard box or wooden table. Keep the RAM, CPU and CPU cooler installed. Plug in the PSU and your GPU, and try jumping the board like I described above. This will rule out of the board is making contact with something in your case that it shouldn't be that could be causing a short. 

Beyond that, if you've tried everything in the troubleshooting guide it's hard to say for sure exactly what the issue is without switching out hardware. 

• pao
    pao
    First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    There shouldn't be any compatibility issues based on your parts list. One other thing I would try is jumping your motherboard.
    If your system powers on when you do this that means either the front panel cables weren't connected properly something is wrong with the power button on your case. It may also be worthwhile to do an out-of-box POST test. Remove the board from the case and put it on a flat non-conductive surface like a cardboard box or wooden table. Keep the RAM, CPU and CPU cooler installed. Plug in the PSU and your GPU, and try jumping the board like I described above. This will rule out of the board is making contact with something in your case that it shouldn't be that could be causing a short. 

Thanks for your reply, Tony!
     So, I tried jumpstarting it inside and outside the case and I got the same results. I got a replacement motherboard and tried jumping it as well, and got the same results. So I'm assuming I can rule out the possibility that it's a faulty motherboard? 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, that would rule out the motherboard as a culprit. Only real way to narrow it down is to keep swapping components out, if possible I'd try the CPU next. Of course you're always welcome to bring it to your local Micro Center for diagnostics, just keep in mind that would be a $39.99 fee. 
  • pao
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    Yeah, that would rule out the motherboard as a culprit. Only real way to narrow it down is to keep swapping components out, if possible I'd try the CPU next. Of course you're always welcome to bring it to your local Micro Center for diagnostics, just keep in mind that would be a $39.99 fee. 
    I tried that, but they said it would take at least a month to get it diagnosed. It will probably take me less time to fix it on my own, so I'll try the PSU and the CPU next. It has to be one of those I'm guessing.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would agree, let us know if you need anything else or if you have any updates. I wouldn't rule out the RAM as a possibility either. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99