The effect of the 30 series on used GPUs prices $$$

Options
With the release of the 30 series' stats and claims that a 3070 ($499) would get you better performance than a current top of the line GPU,  How does everyone think this will effect the used market?
It is my opinion that used GPU prices are going top drop massively.  Why would anyone pay anything close to $500 for a used card that can be out performed by a 3070 for the same price?  I understand that you may have spent $1,000+ on a card and if you want to sell it, there is no more incentive with this new series.
Am I off base on my assumptions? 

Comments

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options
    Frank718 said:
    With the release of the 30 series' stats and claims that a 3070 ($499) would get you better performance than a current top of the line GPU,  How does everyone think this will effect the used market?
    It is my opinion that used GPU prices are going top drop massively.  Why would anyone pay anything close to $500 for a used card that can be out performed by a 3070 for the same price?  I understand that you may have spent $1,000+ on a card and if you want to sell it, there is no more incentive with this new series.
    Am I off base on my assumptions? 
    I think you are exactly on point. I myself paid $1200 for my 2080 Ti last October, and now a $500 card has the potential to outperform it while offering new features (HDMI 2.1, simultaneous INT32/FP32 computation, improved RT/Tensor core & cache topology, etc). As far as I am concerned, my 2080 Ti would be worth less than a 3070, which would imply it's worth less than $500. Now others may not feel the same and may feel that the increased VRAM capacity adds a bit of a premium to it, but it still wouldn't exceed the price of the 3080 in my opinion, even with the extra 1GB of VRAM.

I think the used market will see a pretty steep discount on these cards, and I imagine it will be paradise for the cryptocurrency miners that are looking for raw computation power on a budget, especially if the RTX 2000 series is still very power efficient compared to the RTX 3000 series.

I personally don't sell my used hardware, as I like to use my older hardware to upgrade my family systems when I get the itch to upgrade. This lets me retain the value of my card by putting it to use for a longer period of time, and saving my family members some extra money while giving them a nice performance boost. I know a lot of people online have buyers remorse about their 2080 Ti's, but the way I see it, we were fine with the performance that was advertised when we paid the $1200 for it, and that shouldn't change just because newer, improved technology released later. My 2080 Ti didn't get any slower with the launch of these new cards, and I imagine it will serve a few different members of my family for years to come. Now I just need to justify a reason to buy an RTX 3090 to replace my card, lol.
  • Frank718
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, Michael B. I 100% agree with you on a used card being worth less than $500. For any incentive to buy a used card, I'm thinking a fair price, generally speaking, would be somewhere in the $2-300 range. once you get above that I think the consumer would be more inclined to shell out a little extra money for not only a better card, but a new condition one. It takes out the risk from buying a used possibly over temp, over clocked mining gpu. I know not everyone abuses their rigs, but also not everyone is honest either when selling second hand.
    I don't know if the current market is reflecting my current outlook, Im curious to see how much time It will take (or not if I'm wrong) to see drastic dips in used prices.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options
    Frank718 said:
    Thanks for your reply, Michael B. I 100% agree with you on a used card being worth less than $500. For any incentive to buy a used card, I'm thinking a fair price, generally speaking, would be somewhere in the $2-300 range. once you get above that I think the consumer would be more inclined to shell out a little extra money for not only a better card, but a new condition one. It takes out the risk from buying a used possibly over temp, over clocked mining gpu. I know not everyone abuses their rigs, but also not everyone is honest either when selling second hand.
    I don't know if the current market is reflecting my current outlook, Im curious to see how much time It will take (or not if I'm wrong) to see drastic dips in used prices.
    For this particular release, I imagine we will see the impact on pricing sooner rather than later. It's not just new GPU's competing with older GPU's, it's new console launches as well. It wouldn't surprise me if some PC gamers swapped over to consoles, selling their rigs in general as they get older and want a simplistic experience without having to upgrade hardware. I know a few gamers that jumped ship when the Xbox One launched, and this release window of both new GPU's and consoles might dramatically impact sales for older generation hardware.

For gamers that don't utilize Raytracing or play at 4k, used RTX 2000 series will be a very compelling upgrade path depending on the price.
  • Waffler
    Options
    Speaking of which, will we see refurb'ed 2000 series at Micro Center? Any kind of estimate as to the price points?
  • Frank718
    Options
    Waffler said:
    Speaking of which, will we see refurb'ed 2000 series at Micro Center? Any kind of estimate as to the price points?

This, to me, is going to be a double edged sword. On the one hand Microcenter will sell a used GPU with an optional warranty or return policy but at a premium price, on the other hand if you decide to buy one second hand from a private seller, you won’t pay as much but run the risk of buying something as is. I mean how can we tell or even believe if someone just says ‘never over clocked’ or ‘never used for mining’. It’s like buying a used car and someone says that it has ALL HIGHWAY MILES.. sure, I got a bridge for sale too. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    We do carry refurbished cards, so I would expect we'll probably see the same for the 2000 series later on. Looks like they have a 90 day warranty through us like other refurbished items, but you still have the option of purchasing a protection plan. 
  • floydian022
    Options
    @TSMichaelB Also agree completely with your point about the buyer's remorse.  A few years ago, I paid $400 or so for a used 1060 6GB.  Back in the mid-80's, we paid around $1,800 for a PC with an 8088 processor and a 20MB hard drive.  All the same, both were rendered obsolete by newer and better technology, within a relatively-short couple of years of their respective releases.  It's just the way it goes with technology.  It's also why, if budget and value retention are strong considerations, I rarely ever recommend purchasing the newest/greatest models.  There's always that classic disparity in price gaps between the newest and second-newest stuff, as compared to the gaps between the 2nd and 3rd newest stuff, and so you generally end up seeing the best value retention by going with the 2nd-newest stuff.  Even then, it's obviously still only a matter of time before its value becomes greatly diminished.  #thanksmooreslaw
  • Felicity
    Felicity ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I bought a 2070s a few months ago with my TrumpCheck(tm). $500 (550 w taxes), cheapest EVGA, really nice quality tbh. If I can flip it for 250, or maybe discount a friend to 200, that means I can turn around and get the 3080 for the same(ish) price. Do I feel remorse? Not really, VR has been a ton of fun over coronabreak and it was worth it, and despite people who can't see more than 15fps saying the 1060 is fine for VR, my 1070 wasn't cutting it. It's sitting beside me now too, but it's going to my little bro, who plays fortnite so ya..

¬moore's law is dead 
  • GLuE
    Options

Street prices after the 30’s launch. 

3090 $1900+ (post preorder)

3080 $850-1100 (post preorder)

3070 $650-800 (post preorder)

2080ti $500-700

2080s $400-500

2070s  $300-400

2060s  $200-300

• I bought a 2nd 2080ti on ebay for 400 bucks right before the 3080 release. Now they are selling for 800-1000 bucks. Could easily make my money back with no bots, no standing in line. I had two friends offer me 900 bucks for it because they have no gpu in their system. I said nope, holding on to this 2080ti as my spare. Great card and overclock it a touch and you are golden.
  • Kkochel
    Kkochel
    First Comment
    edited April 2021
    Options

This didn't age well.

1660 Supers going for $500 on eBay.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done