Time for an upgrade, but dont know what exactly...

Options
DeanM
DeanM
First Comment
edited September 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
So, I have this PC:

Mother: Asus Prime B350 Plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB (XFX edition)
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2400MHz (CMK8GX4M2A2400C14)
Storage: 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 1TB SSD, 1x 250GB SSD
Monitors: 1x 27" 144Hz, 1080p and 1x 24", 75Hz, 1080p (both AOC, realy good)
650 power supply, EVGA, gold edition

I use this PC 99% for gaming, like CoDMW (100+ fps in MP, max 100 fps in Warzone :S)
That build is around 3 years old, if I am right. I want to change something in it, but dont know what exactly. I was thinking to replace the GPU with a new from NVIDIA, the 3000 series, but a dude told me it wont coop with this CPU, it will bottleneck I suppose.

I am fine with my peripherals. I run Win10 Pro and I dont want to Overclock.
I can pay 500 euros at this time. Any ideas?

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    People fixate on the idea of bottlenecking a little too much. There's always a bottleneck somewhere, whether it's CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, or just the game you're playing not being well optimized for your particular setup. Sure, the 1600 will "bottleneck" a powerful card in the sense that at low-resolution there are faster CPUs that will produce higher framerates, but HOW important is that to you? Do you need every single last frame possible? As far as I'm concerned unless you're being really competitive, once you hit your monitor's max refresh rate then anything past that doesn't really matter. 

You're already getting pretty decent FPS (and Warzone is notorious for not being well optimized). A GPU upgrade by itself should likely net you some performance gains and let you hit that nice 144FPS number at least in normal multiplayer, plus you can always upgrade your CPU at a later date if you really want to anyway. 

You don't really need a 3070 or 3080 since you're running a 1080p monitor, I think it'd be more appropriate to go for something like a the future 3060 or pick up one of the current cards like a 2070 Super on a discount when the new cards drop (unless you plan on getting a higher resolution monitor).

One thing you didn't mention was what PSU you have in your system. 
  • DeanM
    Options
    A 650 EVGA, gold edition
    Thank you for the reply!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Solid PSU then, that should be fine for pretty much any GPU. If I were in your position I'd do a GPU upgrade first, see what kind of performance gains I get, and if it's not as much as I'd WANT, then I'd plan for a future CPU upgrade. 
  • DeanM
    Options
    A 3060 with a Ryzen 7 3700X later on, was my first thought.
    My RAMs seem old too, but I dont know if they can cause any problem.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your RAM isn't really "old." All current hardware is using DDR4 RAM, though DDR5 is coming at some point. 

That said, your ram is a little bit slow. The "standard" for DDR4 speeds these days is DDR4-3200, it's typically the best balance of price:performance and RAM speeds offer tangible benefits for gaming, and especially with Ryzen. Third-generation Ryzen's sweetspot is DDR4-3600 if you do end up with a 3700X later on. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99