New motherboard unable to flash bios or post

Options
I bought a new MSI B550M Pro-VDH Wifi motherboard yesterday. I started by installing all of the components
(500W PSU, Ryzen 5 3600, 16g 3000mhz RAM, RTX 2060) and trying to jump the power pins, but nothing turned on. The power supply passed the paper clip test, and all of the components have worked in the past. I then tried to flashback the bios, clear cmos etc. None of this worked. As far as I can tell, the motherboard is dead. The strange thing is that this was supposed to replace my previous motherboard, which I had also thought was dead, after believing the power supply was dead (followed by buying a new power supply but returning it as it did not fix the problem). I am also considering that both my previous motherboard and my power supply are dead, the power supply having killed the motherboard. What are some options for testing and fixing my issues?

Comments

• Also, if anyone knows anything about the number of times the "bios" light blinks, that would be helpful. For me, with no components on the motherboard, file named MSI.ROM, the light blinks 6 or 7 times. None of the debug lights turn on.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetings,

It sounds you've got standby power then, so the power supply is providing power to the board. Eliminate the possibility of a short. Pull the board out and try to short the power switch pins cardboard. Watch it carefully. Do you see a quarter turn of the CPU fan? Do you see a brief flicker? Does the motherboard lose standby power after you attempt to turn it on? Do you hear a click or sound from the power supply?
  • TSMikeW said:
    Greetings,

It sounds you've got standby power then, so the power supply is providing power to the board. Eliminate the possibility of a short. Pull the board out and try to short the power switch pins cardboard. Watch it carefully. Do you see a quarter turn of the CPU fan? Do you see a brief flicker? Does the motherboard lose standby power after you attempt to turn it on? Do you hear a click or sound from the power supply?

The board is on top of the box (no bag) and is showing no signs of power. I have an LED strip hooked up to the molex on the power supply as well, and that only lit up when the flashback was working (it has since stopped)
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Pretty straight forward, unfortunately. No power at the board at this point. You've ruled out the PSU, the peripheral connectors and case. That leaves the motherboard. Time to replace it.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99