Looking for advice on 1440 gaming PC build

Options
I'm looking for expert gaming PC advice on the build I put together.  I plan on gaming at 1440p resolution.  Ideally, I would like to be able to play Elder Scrolls 6 (whenever it drops) at max settings.  I don't plan on streaming or content creation.  Max, I would have music/discord (voice chat) running while I game.  My current computer has gone kaput so need a replacement relatively soon.  Some questions:
1. I'm thinking about waiting until the RTX 3080 drops. Will the 3700X bottleneck things at all?  Should I think about upgrading the CPU?  I'm no expert with AMD vs Intel.
2. Any better options on motherboard for a similar pricepoint?  I don't need WiFi.
3. RAM: is 32GB overkill? do I only need 16?
4. Is the powersupply overkill?
5. Videocard: is the RTX 3080 going to be worth it/overkill for this build? 
6. SSD: Is M.2 preferred over 2.5"?  Any other recommendations besides samsung for reliability?
7. Do I need a heat sink for the CPU?
8. Watercooling: I assume this would be needed for my build.  How does that factor into build cost?
9. Am I going to need an optical drive?
10. Case - I really don't care how the build looks, just want good performance. If there is a cheaper case that will work I'm all ears.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetins.

1. While we don't have any confirmed information on the RTX 3000 series cards yet, I don't expect any card in the near future will bottleneck a 3700X. You don't need to be concerned about this.

2. There are several options, but I think that's a good board for the price point. I'd stick with it.

3. I would go with 32GB right now, the price isn't bad and the are games that can exceed 16GB, it's not common, but it exists.  Future proofing.

4. Only a little bit. It gives room to expand and keeps your load low. I wouldn't change it.

5. No information on it yet. What we're hearing sounds promising. Keep in mind, you're buying an EVGA card. They do have their step up program. https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

6. M.2 NVMe is preferred for the considerably higher speeds. Samsung is top tier with memory IC's, volatile or non-volatile.

7. Optional, I'd buy one if you wanted to overclock. The stock cooler will do just fine otherwise.

8. Not required. And it depends. For an AIO cooler, you can do a 240/280 in the $120 range. A 360mm is going to be more in the $180 range. If you're getting in to a custom loop, you'll spend $400 pretty easily. Between buying radiator, pump, res, blocks, tubing and fittings. The reservoir is not required, but if you go this route, get one. Bleeding air out of a system with just a T-Line is not enjoyable.

9. That would be up to you. It's not common anymore, but if you need it, you need it. I'd get an external. 

10. You can go cheaper, but that's a really solid case for the price. I'd stick with it.

• Thanks so much TSMikeW!  Regarding the AIO cooler I picked out, do you think it is the right choice for this build?  If I included it, I assume I would need the level 3 assembly option? 

Also, if I wanted to reserve one of the RTX 3080's, do you know how I would do that?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Yes, the H100i would work just fine. I would check with service on that, I believe you're correct thought, that it would be a tier 3.

As for the RTX 3080 launch, there's no information available in that. In the past, we've been first come, first served at launch, with no reservations. EVGA does have their step up program. 

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99