Need Help Choosing Parts

Options
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice. Would the main components work well together for gaming mostly shooter games along with doing graphics design? Trying to stay under 2k for price on PC but leave room for upgrading down the road. Thanks.
 https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-asus.aspx?load=f2a6aa96-6a72-4373-a4ad-3c04221677b0

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    You may be better served by going with an Intel platform if your main focus is gaming and depending on what graphics design programs you're using. Do you know what software you'll be using? 
  • Mostly Adobe Illustrator for graphics design, occasionally Photoshop. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Alright. I like to default to Puget Systems recommendations when it comes to PCs being built for design/CAD/rendering and that sort of thing, and they have a breakdown of a number of CPUs, both Intel and AMD, here:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations

The 10700k and 3900X are both very close to together in terms of performance for Photoshop, and Illustrator should be similar as far as I'm aware. In your case, I think you need to ask yourself if you care about the extra gaming performance a 10700k could get you instead. If those extra few percentage points of frames are important to you, then the 10700k will be a good choice. If they're not all that important (or if you're playing at higher resolution like 1440p or 4k where performance between the CPUs will be almost identical) then I'd stick with the 3900X as it's a fantastic all-around option for what you're doing. 

Beyond that I do have some general feed back. I noticed in your build is that you included two CPU coolers, the Hyper 212 as well as the ASUS Ryou cooler. You only need one and the Hyper 212 isn't a significant upgrade over the Wraith Prism the 3900X comes with. I'd stick with the liquid cooler in that case. Personally speaking I'd go with a cheaper case and AIO liquid cooler, something like a Lancool II Mesh and an NZXT Kraken X63 pairing. That would save you some cash that you could put into a different place on your build like bumping up your GPU to the next price bracket which would be well worth it in my opinion. 

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99