Smallest screws possible, how do I find a screwdriver?

Options
okay so I'm trying to disassemble my Asus RoG G75VW to clean the keyboard because I splashed soda on it and an hour later I was getting graphical glitches on my display that don't replicate when displayed on a different screen so it's hardware. (Been cleaning parts inside hoping it fixed it and that I won't have to replace the screen or display cable)

Anyways I've gotten to the point where I've taken the keyboard off and flipped it over but the B screws are too small for any screwdriver I own. On the plating it says that "B=M2x1.15 (A=2x3 which is just fine for my basic precision set). A #000 phillips head was too big for them and I also just found a #0000 phillips head (which I think is 2x1.5) which also seems to be too big. I found a theoretically #00000 on Amazon but it's not Prime verified and won't arrive for almost 2 weeks and that's assuming it actually is the size it says it is.

I've been trying to ask MicroCenter tech support as they have to have one in their repair department (I would hope so) and see where they got theirs and where I can get one but I've been on hold forever. Do any of you know where I can get a screwdriver for these screws or otherwise get them out (and also put them back in)?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Greetings,

It's an M2 screw, 2mm. You need a 2mm screw driver. Phillips number would be PH#00. We have plenty of screwdriver kits made for consumer electronics that'll have this bit in it. I personally have one of the Titan Tools kits in the front, the bits are soft and it works very well. The iFixit tool kits we carry are great as well.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/488462/ifixit-64-bit-driver-kit

• I assure you it is smaller than a ph#00. Most of the screws on the laptop are indeed that size which is why I was able to disassemble it enough to remove the keyboard but the plate on the bottom of the keyboard piece is a afixed with something much smaller than that. As I said in the post a Masterforce PH#0000 from Menards was too big for it as was the #000 and #00 in a precision set I bought from Home Depot. Hold on let me upload a photo

TSMikeW said:
    Greetings,

It's an M2 screw, 2mm. You need a 2mm screw driver. Phillips number would be PH#00. We have plenty of screwdriver kits made for consumer electronics that'll have this bit in it. I personally have one of the Titan Tools kits in the front, the bits are soft and it works very well. The iFixit tool kits we carry are great as well.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/488462/ifixit-64-bit-driver-kit

• This is the Masterforce PH#0000 and it was too big to get a good grip and was going to start stripping them.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    Greetings,

#0000 is a 1mm tip, it should be too small for an M.2 and it will just turn or damage the screw itself. I would use a PH00.  Apply pressure and it should come out. It's possible the screws are just overtightened by the manufacturer and may be difficult to remove. There are several tricks here. Using a rubber band to push the screwdriver head into and twist can help it grip as an example. Be as careful as you can to void stripping the screw. At the end of the day, there's always the power drill option. 1/32 bit should do it. Strong disclaimer, using a drill is of course risky and can damage the device. If you're not comfortable, please bring it to service for us to help you with it first as you certainly can damage your device.

Could ou tell us more about what you're dissembling exactly? 
  • They might very well be over tightened but everything I've tried sure seems like it's too big to fit into the very tiny holes on top. As I mentioned I tried #00, #000 and #0000 and they all don't seem to work. This is the bottom plate of the keyboard. I'm trying to open the keyboard up to see if there's damage and to clean it. I'll also probably need to replace the screen and the original issue is a hardware graphical error I'm having though I was hoping cleaning things up might resolve the issue as it correlated with splashing soda on it. (Started a half hour to an hour later)

TSMikeW said:
    Greetings,

#0000 is a 1mm tip, it should be too small for an M.2 and it will just turn or damage the screw itself. I would use a PH00.  Apply pressure and it should come out. It's possible the screws are just overtightened by the manufacturer and may be difficult to remove. There are several tricks here. Using a rubber band to push the screwdriver head into and twist can help it grip as an example. Be as careful as you can to void stripping the screw. At the end of the day, there's always the power drill option. 1/32 bit should do it. Strong disclaimer, using a drill is of course risky and can damage the device. If you're not comfortable, please bring it to service for us to help you with it first as you certainly can damage your device.

Could ou tell us more about what you're dissembling exactly? 

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
     It really shouldn't be a problem,the PH00 should fit perfectly. You can usually remove it fine with a larger screwdriver, 0, or 1. I originally thought it was the plate under the keyboard, but the back of the keyboard is obvious now after you explained it, with the stand offs visible to secure it from underneath.

Try the rubber band trick and see if it helps, put some pressure on it. Cleaning the keyboard isn't going to help with your main issue and keyboards are generally cheap to replace.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99