Testing potential processor issues?

Options
Apologies if this is the wrong channel, but I purchased a processor as part of my first build (Ryzen 5 3600) and while I've got all the parts for this build brought together and assembled, it doesn't seem to be sending a signal to my monitor. I've narrowed down my issue to some kind of problem between the motherboard and the processor, going through everything from swapping out the HDMI cables/ports on the TV to trying to run with onboard graphics to checking with the motherboard manufacturer that the motherboard's BIOS doesn't need an update to be compatible with the processor (it doesn't). Is there a way to test if the processor is at fault and, if it is, would I need to bring it in within the 15 days of the return policy for processors or could I wait until later?

TL;DR: processor possibly not working, motherboard possibly not working, how can I test the processor (in store or at home) independent of the motherboard?

Comments

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi @MasonLaCour! The 3600 does not have integrated graphics and does require a discrete graphics card to have a display output. I'd recommend adding a GPU to your system and plugging the monitor into the back of the GPU to ensure that it displays properly! If you're still having issues, please let me know.

To answer your TL;DR directly, there is no way to test the processor independently of the motherboard. Be sure to give the CPU a visual inspection to ensure there are no bent pins.
  • I've tested it with a separate graphics card as well, but the problem persists. Due to some debug tests I'm pretty sure it's the processor, but the store I bought it at (Houston) is currently closed due to flooding. Would it be possible to return the processor the day the store opens back up, even if that's past the 15 day return policy for processors? If not, would the fact that it seems to not work extend the return period?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    What motherboard do you have? Do you have debug LED's or a QCode reader/LED to tell you where it's failing in the POST process?
  • TSMikeW said:
    What motherboard do you have? Do you have debug LED's or a QCode reader/LED to tell you where it's failing in the POST process?
    Yup. I have an MSI B450M PRO-VDH Max, which comes with debug LEDs that claim the processor is at fault. 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    Makes it pretty simple then. I assume you have your 8 pin CPU power connected, or you wouldn't even get a  debug LED at all. Could be referencing the IMC on the CPU, but be more related to memory, so it's worth reseating the RAM. Beyond that, you're looking at a board/CPU issue. The board is more likely to be DOA. So long as you have the boxes and accessories, we can extend your return policy to 30 days.
  • TSMikeW said:
    Makes it pretty simple then. I assume you have your 8 pin CPU power connected, or you wouldn't even get a  debug LED at all. Could be referencing the IMC on the CPU, but be more related to memory, so it's worth reseating the RAM. Beyond that, you're looking at a board/CPU issue. The board is more likely to be DOA. So long as you have the boxes and accessories, we can extend your return policy to 30 days.

Already reseated the RAM, how would I identify a DOA motherboard beyond "an entirely different processor didn't fix the problem"? 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    That's pretty much it. You diagnose the board to the exclusion of everything else, and you generally exclude the CPU until last. The failure rate is incredible low on CPU's. I've seen maybe three faulty CPU's where it wasn't an obvious issue like a bent pin, or pins.
  • Well, I lack the parts to exclude anything without outright replacing it via a return policy or warranty, so I'm going with the most immediately solvable potential problem, swapping out the processor.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I would elaborate a bit further and state there are components you can rule out based on where you are in the POST process. You're on the CPU. Most likely this is down the CPU/Board. Memory, possibly, if it's really referencing an issue with the IMC, but it's not likely. So you would look at those components. As I said before, we can extend the return policy on either component for you to 30 days. Swapping out one or the other is going to tell you where you stand.
  • Dragineez
    Options
    My nephew worked for almost a month on his first build and couldn't get it to POST. Stopping by one day he asked me to look at it. Bank 0 of the memory slots had no RAM. He didn't want to put it there because it was so close to the CPU cooler. "Well son, as far as that motherboard's concerned - if you don't have any RAM in slot 0, you don't have any RAM." Moved all the RAM over one slot and, guess what?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @Dragineez

That should not be the case. Generally the motherboard manufacturers will recommend slots A2/B2. And the RAM should work fine in any slot. I would test that behavior in each slot. If it's not POSTing in each slot, you have a problem with your motherboard.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99