Upgrading Two Outdated Builds

Options
Puffykun
Puffykun
edited October 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading two PCs while salvaging as much as reasonably possible. No budget. Just trying to get them relatively up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first will be for my mom. She is a very light user, using it for simple web browsing, Youtube videos, etc.
Current build: AMD FX-4300, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0, 8 GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, EVGA GTX 760, Corsair CX750M, NZXT Guardian 921 RB.

I'm thinking I can keep the case, PSU, and GPU. Probably upgrade the CPU, MOBO, RAM, and storage. I couldn't find the MOBO on the Micro Center site, but thinking Gigabyte B450M DS3H
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=1600c7fe-9ce6-4e44-b56e-06da8becb948.

The second is for me. I would say I'm a light/casual gamer. Mainly web browsing, Youtube, Microsoft Office, while rarely playing games like Terraria and Among Us. When this PC was new, it was able to run games like Tomb Raider, Killing Floor, and the like, which should be enough for me. I don't expect to play current or new triple-A titles.

Current build: Intel i5-4590, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 8 GB DDR3, 240GB SSD, Gigabyte Radeon R9 200 series Windforce (can't find out which model exactly), EVGA 500W 80+, NZXT Phantom 410.

Similar to the first build, I think I could keep the case, GPU and SSD even though capacity is pretty low. I have an external hard drive for media storage. Probably upgrade the CPU, MOBO and RAM. I might upgrade my case and fans later to RGB which is why I went with the G.Skill Trident RGB sticks. Just FYI in case you had some opinions to help with this too. https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=87f344a2-7be0-47fd-bdfd-c92e38558a1d.

For the PSU, if it makes sense to swap the existing ones between the two systems instead of buying new ones, that would work too.

Thanks in advance!
Arthur C.

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99