Need Help Choosing Parts

Options
This is for my dream computer that I want to last for many years.   I know it may be overkill as I am not a gamer, but rather, a DTP, graphic and video editor.   
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice. Do I have anything wrong?  Is there a better combination?
 https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-intel.aspx?load=d59673ef-b397-491d-b8c1-c7f460b98120

Thanks,
MAV

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    What kind of programs are you using, and do you have a need for the quad-channel memory or the higher number of PCIe lanes specifically? If not, I'd encourage you to look at the Ryzen 9 3950X instead. While it has two less cores, at stock settings it will typically beat the 10980Xe in... basically everything. If you're planning on doing some serious overclocking on the 10980Xe you can get it a little ahead of the 3950X, but not enough that it's worth the price jump IMO. 

The Threadripper 3960X would also be a good look if you're willing to up your price range a bit and the programs you're using are heavily multi-thread reliant, but I'd only go that route if your work is majority multi-threaded workloads because you'll take a hit on single-threaded performance when you jump up to the Threadripper processors a bit. 

I'd also personally choose a different case with better airflow, something like a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh or Fractal Design Meshify C
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99