Cannot get into BIOS with USB keyboard on old (and working great) PowerSpec G170

Options
racketteer
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Hi,
For many years I have used an old keyboard with AT plug -> USB adapter -> PowerSpec G170. It has worked great. I finally upgraded to a real USB keyboard, so I don't need the adapter anymore, and the G170 will not let me get into the BIOS with it. In fact, if I get real aggressive on the F2 key the keyboard is completely disabled when it finally comes up in Windows.
Even though it is 8 years old it works great, handles Win 10 Pro like a champ, and I'm very happy with it. Except for this. Any suggestions? It uses an Intel DZ68DB motherboard.
Thanks,
Daniel

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetings @racketteer

Have you tested multiple USB ports on the rear? Please test the top USB 2.0 ports first. It would appear that this board does have issues with some USB keyboards at startup. Do you still have the old PS/2 keyboard with the adapter so that we can use it to check your BIOS settings?
  • racketteer
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Yes, I have tried one of the top rear USB 2.0 ports. I have also tried one of the front ports and one the USB 3.0 ports. I still have the old setup so I can get into BIOS that way.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @racketteer

Check your BIOS under Integrated Peripherals for a setting called USB Keyboard Support. Is that enabled?
  • racketteer
    Options
    I do not see an Integrated Peripherals setting. I found a setting for USB Legacy, which is enabled, and Fast Boot / USB Optimization, which is disabled.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @racketteer

Leave that off, it'll make it more difficult to get back into the BIOS. No specific USB keyboard setting?  Have you tested any other USB keyboards besides the current one?
  • racketteer
    Options
    Thank you for your assistance. I was able to determine that the new keyboard can enter the BIOS unless the separate USB numeric keypad was plugged in. If the keypad was plugged in, either directly to the PC or through a hub (on the monitor), I could not enter the BIOS. Once I unplugged the keypad I could enter the BIOS through any of the rear connectors or through the hub.
    I will be contacting the makers of the keyboard and keypad (Kinesis). Do you have any suggestions while I wait for them to respond?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    Interesting. I have seen issues with some USB keyboards and this particular motherboard. Nothing else I have to suggest at this time.
  • racketteer
    Options
    OK. Thanks again for your help. Your suggestion to try a different keyboard was key. Before reaching out I had tried the different keyboard and it didn't work. At your prompting I tried it again,  explicitly putting it in the first USB, and it worked. I investigated further and isolated it to the keypad interfering with the keyboard rather than the different keyboard or the USB location. The keypad interferes with the other USB keyboard, too. I appreciate you working with me on this.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99