Computer randomly shuts down

Options

Hello,

Really frustrated over here and trying to get some help.  I recently built a computer (1st time) for some gaming.  I got it up an running (or so I thought), but when playing Fortnite, it will randomly (and without warning) completely shut down the entire computer.  It doesn't happen immediately when launching Fortnite, and sometimes I've gotten through a few full games before it happens.  No predictability to it.   

I have tried updating all the drivers (NVIDIA, Bios, Windows, etc.) I can think of, and the problem still occurs.    I know there are issues reported with the GeForce 30 series, but from what I've read they're not really with the FE ones, and its more of a crash-to-desktop issue than a complete shut down of the PC. 

Any thoughts or similar experience help would be greatly appreciated!

PC specs-

Ryzen 9 3900X

NVIDIA  GeForce RTX 3090

Gigabyte Aorus x570- Pro WIFI

G. Skill Ripjaw 2x16mb D4 3600 Ram

2x WD Black 1 TB SSDs

EVGA 850w 80+Gold PSU

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @Shrapsky

Let's first grab some additional information, is this happening with other games?  Do you see any stop codes or does the system just completely turn off?  Have you checked your event viewer for crash information?  
  • Shrapsky
    Options
    @TSPhillipT

I played a little bit (2-3 games) of COD Warzone with no issues yesterday.  That's the only other game I currently have downloaded.  Granted, I haven't put as much time into playing COD as Fortnite on this PC, so I don't know if I just didn't catch a shut down in it, or if it's something specific to Fortnite.   

No code or anything pops up before the shut down occurs.  There's no indication it's about to happen.  I have AMD Ryzen Master and task manager up and was watching the temps and utilization as best I could while playing, and didn't see anything crazy on those numbers either, although I didn't catch them just prior to the shut down occurring, so I'm not sure if it was a rapid sudden spike or not.  

In event viewer, I believe it's showing the crashes as follows:
    Source - Kernel-power; Event ID: 41; Level: Critical; 
    "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.  This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly"
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    @Shrapsky

Just to double check, you have updated the BIOS?  Could also be a GPU Driver issue as the 3090 is pretty new.  

You can also try uninstalling the GPU Drivers through DDU and reinstalling them; https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10
  • Shrapsky
    Options
    @TSPhillipT
    Yes, I updated the Bios yesterday.  It was a few updates behind so I was hoping that was the culprit, but it has happened 2x times since I updated.  
    I can try the GPU driver's when I get home tomorrow.  I know the 3090s are new, but I haven't really found a whole lot of people reporting similar issues.  I'm not sure if it's that, or an issue with the PSU maybe?   Just kinda odd it only seems to occur in Fortnite.  
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Generally, computer rebooting randomly can be caused by many reasons, for example, overheating or a faulty power supply, a faulty RAM, driver problems, Windows update.
    As a precaution, I'd recommend reseating the RAM or testing it with one stick of RAM. It's possible that it could be your PSU, but with your PSU being 850W it has more than enough capacity.
    Is your PC just instantly turning off and then turning back on, or perhaps is the screen showing colors before it resets?
  • Shrapsky
    Options
    LandShark said:
    Generally, computer rebooting randomly can be caused by many reasons, for example, overheating or a faulty power supply, a faulty RAM, driver problems, Windows update.
    As a precaution, I'd recommend reseating the RAM or testing it with one stick of RAM. It's possible that it could be your PSU, but with your PSU being 850W it has more than enough capacity.
    Is your PC just instantly turning off and then turning back on, or perhaps is the screen showing colors before it resets?
    Yes, it just instantly shuts down like someone pulled the plug on it.  One second I'm going fine in the game, and then it's like a power outage and everything goes off.  Fans, screen, lights, etc. all just go black.  It doesn't reboot on it's own, I have to hit the power button to start it back up.  There's no changes or abnormalities on booting it back up.  
  • Shrapsky
    Options
    So, after visiting Microcenter Fairfax, and talking with the staff there (who were super helpful), we determined that it was probably a PSU issue.  So I grabbed a 1000w platinum PSU and swapped it for the 850w I had in there.  After a few days of playing, I haven't had any issues since.  Going to keep an eye on it, but it seems to have solved the issue.

I'm not certain whether I had a bad 850w PSU, or the 850 was just now powerful enough for the rig, but it was definitely an issue in the PSU realm.  
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Shrapsky said:
    So, after visiting Microcenter Fairfax, and talking with the staff there (who were super helpful), we determined that it was probably a PSU issue.  So I grabbed a 1000w platinum PSU and swapped it for the 850w I had in there.  After a few days of playing, I haven't had any issues since.  Going to keep an eye on it, but it seems to have solved the issue.

I'm not certain whether I had a bad 850w PSU, or the 850 was just now powerful enough for the rig, but it was definitely an issue in the PSU realm.  
    850W is plenty even for a high-end system. Sounds like it was just faulty, but I'm glad you got it solved!
  • Flaco
    Options
    So I am having similar issues as listed above, just replaced my RTX 2080 with a RTX 3090. Whenever I try to load into a game my PC shuts off and turns back on, I am assuming its my 5 year old PSU
    PC specs:
    i9 9900k
    RTX 3090
    Gigabyte Aorus Master z390
    1 WD 2 TB HDD, 1 WD 1 TB NVMe, 1 Samsung 256gb SSD
    4x G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8gb DDR4 3200
    ThermalTake Water 3.0
    6 Total Case Fans
    Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum certified PSU

• Flaco
    Options
    Flaco said:
    So I am having similar issues as listed above, just replaced my RTX 2080 with a RTX 3090. Whenever I try to load into a game my PC shuts off and turns back on, I am assuming its my 5 year old PSU
    PC specs:
    i9 9900k
    RTX 3090
    Gigabyte Aorus Master z390
    1 WD 2 TB HDD, 1 WD 1 TB NVMe, 1 Samsung 256gb SSD
    4x G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8gb DDR4 3200
    ThermalTake Water 3.0
    6 Total Case Fans
    Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum certified PSU

Bought new Corsair RM850 PSU and solved my issues, rip my old PSU
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    @Flaco

Glad it's working for you and this makes sense. Whether the system stays off or reboots is significant in troubleshooting. If it stays off then it generally comes down to temps or power. You ruled out temps. Basically the voltage on one of your rails on the old PSU was dropping too far out of spec, under heavy load and this would trigger an emergency shutdown. Nothing would be recorded in the logs about it, except for an unexpected shutdown.
  • 502apples
    Options
    sorry, this is a bit after your post but has your 3090 done this since. ive put in 2 new PSUs and still get restarts at random.
  • I’m also having the same problem....playing COD Cold War my computer randomly shuts down. Works fine with my 2080....only shuts down with the Asus Strix 3090 OC. System is all new....here are my specs:
    Ryzen 7 5800x / Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
    Crucial Balistic DDR4 3600 4x8GB
    Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC
    EVGA 850w Gold 80+
    Samsung 980 Pro 1tb M2
    EK distro block with dd5 pump
    6 ARGB case fans
    All parts brand new purchased from Micro Center Houston. I’m leaning toward power supply issue but I can’t be certain. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @KAMAKAZE_619
    Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community!  Just to check, have you updated drivers for the GPU?  Is this only happening with COD Cold War or is this other demanding games as well.  Are they BSODing, any error codes?  

Hello @502apples
    Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community!  Are you still needing assistance with this issue, was unsure based off your message.  
  • I have the same issue here with a rtx 3080 and a 850w psu i guess im going to try to buy a 1000w psu its not happening on cold wars for me its on rd2 and a small game call phasmophobia
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    @KAMAKAZE_619

Is this the EVGA 850W GQ Gold 80+? If so, it has ECO mode, turn that off and leave it off. Does the system turn back on immediately, or does it have to sit for a while?
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99