Connection Timing Out -- Router issues

Options
I'm currently having issues with my internet. I've contacted my ISP and they said it was a router issue.

I recently purchased a refurbished ASUS RT-AC1200, and it's been working just fine for just over a week. However, starting last night I've had connection time out issues across all devices, wired into the router or wireless. Is there anyway to verify the ISP's claim of a router issue without just buying and connecting a new router?

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    Have you tried power cycling or resetting your router?
    As far as testing, do you have the ability to connect directly to your ISP modem to test a connection there?
    Are you getting a Connection Timeout error to one site or multiple places?
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options
    I'm currently having issues with my internet. I've contacted my ISP and they said it was a router issue.

I recently purchased a refurbished ASUS RT-AC1200, and it's been working just fine for just over a week. However, starting last night I've had connection time out issues across all devices, wired into the router or wireless. Is there anyway to verify the ISP's claim of a router issue without just buying and connecting a new router?
    The second option that @LandShark recommended would definitely be the best way to confirm the ISP's claims that this is a router issue, as it removes the router from the equation entirely and tests the connection directly from the ISP to your modem. If this works, then it would definitely lean towards something on the routers end being the culprit here.

To add on to LandShark's recommendations, I would advise opening up Command Prompt and pinging 8.8.8.8 to see if you get a response.

If you get a response, this means you still technically have an internet connection, but are likely having issues resolving domain names. There are a few ways to troubleshoot this, but before we dive any deeper in that, let's first confirm if that is the issue by going through the recommended troubleshooting steps above.

Let us know how things go and we'll do what we can to assist from there.
  • sstacklin1
    Options

LandShark said:
    As far as testing, do you have the ability to connect directly to your ISP modem to test a connection there?

I've turned the router off and on several times with no luck. I've done the same to the modem. I tried to connect directly to the modem but my laptop failed to recognize the tethered connection -- not sure why that happened since I was in the correct ethernet port. Connection time out errors happen on all my devices -- windows PC, linux laptop, android phone.

The second option that @LandShark recommended would definitely be the best way to confirm the ISP's claims that this is a router issue, as it removes the router from the equation entirely and tests the connection directly from the ISP to your modem. If this works, then it would definitely lean towards something on the routers end being the culprit here.

To add on to LandShark's recommendations, I would advise opening up Command Prompt and pinging 8.8.8.8 to see if you get a response.

If you get a response, this means you still technically have an internet connection, but are likely having issues resolving domain names. There are a few ways to troubleshoot this, but before we dive any deeper in that, let's first confirm if that is the issue by going through the recommended troubleshooting steps above.

These are the results from the ping command. I also ran a tracert command because this morning seems to have more issues than last night.

I've also manually upgraded the router to the newest firmware but it hasn't helped.

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @sstacklin1

Have you tried connecting any other devices directly to the modem to see if it gets internet?  It's strange that your laptop isn't detecting the modem as it should be just as simple as unplugging the Ethernet Cord connecting to the router and putting it straight to the laptop.  I am leaning towards this being a modem issue, but we would need to double check if any other devices can connect directly to the modem.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    Options

LandShark said:

I've turned the router off and on several times with no luck. I've done the same to the modem. I tried to connect directly to the modem but my laptop failed to recognize the tethered connection -- not sure why that happened since I was in the correct ethernet port. Connection time out errors happen on all my devices -- windows PC, linux laptop, android phone.

These are the results from the ping command. I also ran a tracert command because this morning seems to have more issues than last night.

I've also manually upgraded the router to the newest firmware but it hasn't helped.

The fact that you are getting a response tells me you are getting a connection and the trace route appears to show that you can resolve domain names as well. What exactly are you attempting to connect to that is timing out? It's possible that there is a bad hop on the way to that service that is causing the drop in connection. If it's occurring across multiple web services, I would recommend re-testing with the modem as mentioned earlier to 100% rule the router out.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99