RAID 5 with Three Drives -- Some 0 Bytes Files in a specific dir -- RAID Bay says all drives Healthy

Options
Nabum
Nabum
First Comment
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Hello all!  I am seeking guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue, determine root cause, and if possible, fix the issue.

I have a Raid+ HFR2-SU3S2 4-Drive Raid Bay -- with three 3TB drives inside.   The hard-drive led indicator shows that all the drives are healty.

Recently, I noticed that 98% of the media files in the B:\Media\Shows directory are now 0 byte files.  There are a few files which still work.  

Using windows search of "size:0b", the issue seems primarily isolated to B:\Media\Shows .   I am seeking to understand what happened, how to troubleshoot it, and if there is a fix.  

Cheers!

p.s.  I've already ran a CHKDSK /F /R on the drive -- it seemed to locate and address some things, but, the files are still 0b.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetings,

So you can see the files, but every individual file is 0kb? Are you able to open the files? What's the size of the "Shows" folder when you look at the folder properties?
  • Nabum
    Nabum
    First Comment
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Correct, they are all 0 bytes when I right click them and view properties.  I am not able to open the files, because, they are invalid movies and 0b.  The size of the directories that were affected is 0b as well.

p.s.  I've already ran a CHKDSK /F /R on the drive -- it seemed to locate and address some things, but, the files are still 0b.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    @Nabum

Do you recall anything that happened immediately preceding this?  What's the specific error you get when trying to open the files and does it state it's permissions related? When checking the properties on the parent folder, does its how the folder contains 0kb of data?
  • Nabum
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.  No idea when, hard to say why or what events associated with it.   The issue I suspect is deeper / lower level than most may be familiar with.  Inspecting to see if any parity data exists that I might beable to use to restore from.  I am seeking to understand what happened.  Bit level inspection, and if any tools exist to help with this kind of diagnosis.  And potential fixes.  Any ideas?
  • TSKevinG
    Options
    Good Morning @Nabum

I do apologize but i would not have a software or tools to recommend that was give a bit level diagnoses of the drives.  Our service technicians would be able to take a look at the drive in store to verify if this is an issue with the drives.  You may want to speak with the manufacturer of the raid system to see if they have any software to diagnose the drives inside it
  • TSKevinG
    Options
    Below is a link for Mediasonic to get in contact with them.  They can also be reached at 1-888-231-7899.

http://www.mediasonic.ca/contact.php?id=1357112704
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99