Ideal cooling configuration?

Options
VitorVicente
VitorVicente ✭✭
First Answer 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
edited October 2020 in Cases and Power Supplies
So, I'm building a new PC, and I have every part other than the CPU (which I'm hoping to get on the 5th with the new Ryzen launch), and I've started trying to put some thought into how to set up cooling on it.

My case is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro - http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro.html
The case, in the layout I'm using it in, can take x2 140mm fan in the front, a 280mm rad on top, and another 140mm fan in the back. I have 5 Noctua fans, and a Kraken x63 rad, but I'm not sure how to set them up? Obviously 2 front fans are intake, and the back on is outtake, but I'm not sure how to handle the rad? Should I have the fans pulling air in, our out? And on that note, should the fans be against the chassis, or should the rad be?

I know these questions might not have an obvious answer, as measuring airflow can be finicky, but I'm curious about what is the "best" option that I could take?

For context the system will run a 3080, 32GB of RAM, an ATX motherboard, and (hopefully) a 5950X. 

Comments

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited October 2020
    Options
    From what I can see in this case, it has room for you to place the rad in the front of the case.
    I'd recommend puting the rad in the front to get first access to the fresh air, or in the bottom, if you know there will be cool air available to it. i.e., not sitting on carpeting. I'd typically recommend these positions to be intake, while the back and top to be exhaust.
    I follow the rule the heat rises, so if we intake from the front, we'd want the hot going out the back, and naturaully it will want to rise out the top.

To your question about having the radiator or the fans closest to the case. I'd recommend having the fans closest for intake. Though, as you say, there probably won't be a huge difference, allowing the fans to bring in cool air instead of there being a radiator in the way. At least that would be the better option from my understanding.

I should mention that fan and radiator placement is not permanent. While I do think that these options would be the best placement for your new setup, If you're not happy with the performance you see, It's your system and you can adjust it to see if you'd get better performance by moving or changing the fans and radiator around.
    Personally, I think it's enjoyable to tinker with my system to get the best from it, but I know that's not for everyone.
    Best of luck with getting your new CPU! Let us know if you have any other questions!
  • VitorVicente
    Options
    LandShark said:
    From what I can see in this case, it has room for you to place the rad in the front of the case.
    I'd recommend puting the rad in the front to get first access to the fresh air, or in the bottom, if you know there will be cool air available to it. i.e., not sitting on carpeting. I'd typically recommend these positions to be intake, while the back and top to be exhaust.
    I follow the rule the heat rises, so if we intake from the front, we'd want the hot going out the back, and naturaully it will want to rise out the top.

To your question about having the radiator or the fans closest to the case. I'd recommend having the fans closest for intake. Though, as you say, there probably won't be a huge difference, allowing the fans to bring in cool air instead of there being a radiator in the way. At least that would be the better option from my understanding.

I should mention that fan and radiator placement is not permanent. While I do think that these options would be the best placement for your new setup, If you're not happy with the performance you see, It's your system and you can adjust it to see if you'd get better performance by moving or changing the fans and radiator around.
    Personally, I think it's enjoyable to tinker with my system to get the best from it, but I know that's not for everyone.
    Best of luck with getting your new CPU! Let us know if you have any other questions!
    Hey! 
    Thank you for the great comments! I did think about moving the radiator, but I would need to remove the drive cage/bay cage in order to fit it, so I'd prefer not doing that. I do get that it might be better to let the rad have fresh air though, so I'll look at putting it in the bottom, so it can have fresh air.

Thank you again!
  • JS_MC
    Options
    You're welcome! Hope you find the best setup that works for your build! 👍
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.