Need Help Choosing Parts

Options
kernmatt
kernmatt
First Comment
edited October 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
Hi I'm looking to make the switch from console to pc and this will be my first time building one. I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what to go with but still looking for additional help. I'm looking to spend around $1500 give or take maybe 200. I'm not on too tight of a budget, i just wasn't looking to go super crazy and overboard for my first build. I mostly play COD, but this may open me up to games that weren't available to me on console so that could change. I may start streaming a little bit down the line as well. I also have a 240 Hz 1080p monitor that I'll be playing on. 
Also wondering if it may be better to just wait and get one of the newer zen 3 cpu's and if so, will everything in this build work well with one of them?
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice. https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=30e407b4-e441-490c-8e81-2a4b3799054a

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    Honestly, I think that you've got a great selection here. If you're going with a current gen CPU, I'd recommend a 3070 instead of a 2070 Super. However, if you choose to go with the new generation of CPU from AMD, it may be worth considering the new GPU from AMD as well. We're at a very pivotal point right now, so there a lot of options available to you!
    While I can't recommend the new CPU or GPU from AMD yet, their announcement today bodes well for their performance. I'd have to wait for 3rd party benchmarks and reviews before I could recommend that you buy them.
  • kernmatt
    Options
    Dumb question -- but so the 3070 that comes out tomorrow is what you're recommending? and that will work well with the rest of my build without having to change anything else?
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Yes, the 3070 came out today and is just the upgraded version of the 2070 Super with the same price but much better performance!  If anything, you can also look to get a 2070 Super at a cheaper price. 
  • kernmatt
    Options
    do we know when another wave of these graphics cards will be released? was kind of bummed out not being able to get one
  • JS_MC
    Options
    We're still doing our best to get more shipments to our stores as soon as possible. I'm not sure exactly when we'll be receiving our next shipment, but we are expecting more soon!
  • kernmatt
    Options
    I updated this build a little bit because I put in an order for a 5800x today and was wondering if you guys could take a look at it. 
    I plan to wait until i can get my hands on an RX 6800 because that seems like the best route to take but I have a 2070 super as a place holder.
    My two main questions other than does this look like a solid build, are a) is this a big enough power supply or should i go with an 850W? and b) will i need to do a BIOS update with this mobo or will i be able to use it with these parts right out of the box?
    I plan to make a trip to microcenter tomorrow to start getting some parts together if i can get this all figured out! 
    https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=f52b4ef2-8eb8-41fd-8cbb-c6aa386fe4a5
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    kernmatt said:
    I updated this build a little bit because I put in an order for a 5800x today and was wondering if you guys could take a look at it. 
    I plan to wait until i can get my hands on an RX 6800 because that seems like the best route to take but I have a 2070 super as a place holder.
    My two main questions other than does this look like a solid build, are a) is this a big enough power supply or should i go with an 850W? and b) will i need to do a BIOS update with this mobo or will i be able to use it with these parts right out of the box?
    I plan to make a trip to microcenter tomorrow to start getting some parts together if i can get this all figured out! 
    https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=f52b4ef2-8eb8-41fd-8cbb-c6aa386fe4a5
    750W is plenty, and you might need to do a BIOS update. Some of the boards will have the right BIOS installed already but some may require updating. 
  • kernmatt
    Options
    This is new territory for me, but would doing a BIOS update require an older cpu to do so? I keep seeing mixed answers everywhere i look
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    kernmatt said:
    This is new territory for me, but would doing a BIOS update require an older cpu to do so? I keep seeing mixed answers everywhere i look
    It depends on your motherboard. Some boards will have a BIOS flashback option that allows you to update the BIOS without needing an older CPU, some do not. 

The B550-F Strix in your build does support BIOS flashback via USB without having to install an already-compatible CPU and booting into the BIOS. 

• kernmatt
    Options
    Okay thank you I really appreciate the help
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99