Question about compatibility

Options
I’m new to PC building and I’m learning as I go, but I just bought a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard, and I was wondering will the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor be compatible with that motherboard? I’ve tried to do some research on it but I keep running into something about doing a BIOS update and I’ve been seeing mixed answers that the processor does/doesn’t support the BIOS update. I just wanna to get my question answered before buying the processor. 

Comments

• Lateral
    Options
    The DS3H is known for this, that is why I don't recommend this MBD
  • bbnn
    Options
    well afaik, the 450 motherboards wont have support for ryzen 3(5000 series) until next year, earliest q1. and you will have to do a BIOS update as it wont work out of the box and the same goes for the b550s and x570s. SOME motherboard allows you to flash BIOS even without a processor, some don't. As you're buying a 450, can i assume that you are more after price to performance? in which case Zen 2(3000 series) is better in this regards. ALso you're local microcenter might be able to help you flash bios if you can't do it with out a cpu, though im not sure if the mobo has to be bough in micro center or not or if it costs money.
  • JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    bbnn said:
    well afaik, the 450 motherboards wont have support for ryzen 3(5000 series) until next year, earliest q1. and you will have to do a BIOS update as it wont work out of the box and the same goes for the b550s and x570s. SOME motherboard allows you to flash BIOS even without a processor, some don't. As you're buying a 450, can i assume that you are more after price to performance? in which case Zen 2(3000 series) is better in this regards. ALso you're local microcenter might be able to help you flash bios if you can't do it with out a cpu, though im not sure if the mobo has to be bough in micro center or not or if it costs money.

@bbnn is correct here. The new 5000 series will require a BIOS update when using a motherboard from the previous generation. This would include the B450, B550, and X570 motherboards. Also, the motherboard must be compatible with your CPU.
    We do offer BIOS flash if you're board needs it.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99