Need Help Choosing Parts & Finalizing build

Options
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice. 
I haven't built a pc before, and tried doing research to the best of my ability, but not sure if I'm missing anything. I plan on having microcenter build this for me. If there is any obvious hardware compatibility issues or things missing that I should have in the build please let me know! =) 

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=2fe2a220-6952-4dcc-b95a-34c0e971bc59

Comments

• Lateral
    Lateral ✭✭
    5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Ok, lot's to talk about. 1. I see you have a large budget, and I saw you went with 2 1TB SSDs. I don't recommend this because you probably did this to store your games. Just get 1 ssd and 1 hard drive. With your budget, you can get like a 10 to 12TB hard drive for your steam library. 2. I'm not so sure about a 2060 because well, I'm not sure you want 4 year old hardware do you. Wait until a 3070 is back in stock and get that instead. 3. Last but not least: DON'T BUY WINDOWS 10 AS A USB FLASH DRIVE!!! You're just wasting your money at this point. You can download the Windows 10 Home ISO file [Removed for going against community guidelines.]
    ISO link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
  • Lateral
    Options
    Hope this benifits you!
  • Marcello
    Marcello
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thank you MightyD! Just to add to the conversation here, for anyone else who might post to help, I am going to swap 1 SSD out for an HDD, and take the windows10 advice and save money there too! I am slightly confused on the difference between a 2.5 SSD & M.2 SSD, as I'm doing this through the website I wasn't sure if these are just 2 different storage slots or there is something else at play here. Apart from that, I am not sure how to proceed with a graphics card, I don't plan on overclocking, and wasn't sure if a newer one would be overkill for an average gamer, but I would like to buy with longevity in mind. That said, I've heard that trying to buy a new release graphics card is near impossible at how fast they get sold out. 
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Hey @Marcello. If you've got the budget for it, I'd recommend keeping the two SSDs. HDDs are spinning drives, to simplify this, it means that they are drastically slower than 2.5" or M.2 SSDs. The difference between 2.5 and M.2 drives is the interface and because of that the speed of the drive. 2.5" is typically a bit slower than M.2, however, both are much faster than an HDD.
    To your GPU, I'd recommend going with the most you can budget. We are at a strange point here with the release of NVIDIAs 3000 series and the upcoming release of the 6000 series from AMD. Availability is a bit strained. The short of it right now, is that the more money you spend on GPU, the more frames you get. There are diminishing returns on this when you get to the top end. The 2060 and 2060 Super seemed to be the most popular choice of GPU for the 2000 series cards.
  • Marcello
    Options
    appreciate the help!! To follow up @LandShark , I'll go with the SSD's but should I stick to 1 type of SSD or does it not matter at all if I mix and match types. For example the topic of my operating system, assuming I go with 2 types of ssd's, should that be on the M.2 cause its faster? 

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Marcello said:
    appreciate the help!! To follow up @LandShark , I'll go with the SSD's but should I stick to 1 type of SSD or does it not matter at all if I mix and match types. For example the topic of my operating system, assuming I go with 2 types of ssd's, should that be on the M.2 cause its faster? 

SSDs can be mixed and match without any issues. In the case of installing your OS, there won't be any significant differences between having it installed on an NVMe M.2 or SATA SSD. I'd personally still put it on the M.2 because in the future there may be tech implemented that allows you to take advantage of faster read/write speeds, but at present it won't make much of a different. Your boot times and application loading times will be basically the same on any modern SSD because of how your OS accesses those files on the drive. 

I actually have a post that talks about the differences between different SSDs (and hard drives) here: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2969/how-to-choose-your-parts-part-6-ssds-and-hard-drives
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99