Laptop for CAD program

Options
DanM
DanM
edited June 2021 in General Discussion

I'm looking to buy a laptop to run my architecture CAD software (Vectorworks) I've listed below the requirements they suggest. 

I'm not really a hardware guy so I get kind of lost and not so interested in comparing models. Can anyone look at this and suggest products that will work reliably and easily handle the program. Would like something I can pick up in stock at Chicago Micro Center. 

Should be Windows 10 64-bit and I'd like a 17" screen.
Below are links to what I think would work but would like to hear opinions/suggestions. It seems like gaming laptops have the power:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/623133/lenovo-legion-5-17imh05h-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

https://www.microcenter.com/product/623565/msi-gs75-stealth-10sf-420-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Processor: 64-bit Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) clocked at 2GHz or better
RAM: 8GB-16GB or more
Graphics Card: A dedicated OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics card with 2GB-4GB of VRAM or more
Vectorworks with Vision requires a dedicated graphics card supporting GL_ARB_draw_buffers extension with 4GB of VRAM or more, preferably released in the past three years (e.g., NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 series, AMD Radeon RX Vega series).
Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or higher
Hard Disk: 10GB free disk space is required for the installation. 30GB or more is required for a full installation with all libraries.
Installing Vectorworks on flash storage (SSD) is recommended.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    You're right in that you'll basically be buying a gaming laptop since those are the ones that come with dedicated GPUs. Both the laptops you selected would be great choices, it's ultimately just a matter of what kind of budget you have. 

Most any gaming laptop over $1000 will probably hit those specs. If you have a specific budget in mind we could give some other recommendations. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99