5950x

Options
Wondering if there is any word when more of the Ryzen 5950x will be in Sterling Heights location. I plan on going there for the 6800 release was hoping to grab both at one time. I live a hour away so constant trips there before work really isn’t something I can do.

Comments

• Dgreen
    Options
    when are more Ryzen 9 5950x CPU’s going to be instock?
  • TSTDavey
    Options
    Hello @Ked & @Dgreen i'm not sure if you were to grab the Ryzen 9 5950x or not. This cpu is a high-demand item and come in randomly to the store. There is no scheduled restocking, its just random. I'd recommend to keep checking the website or come to the store speak with a PC parts salesman, they may be able to give you some inside information on the random restockings.
  • Suzukii
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am not sure II in the right place to be posting this period just let me know if I am not.  Ive been building my own rigs for the past 15 years.  Always with the latest hardware.  Haven't built a system in 5 years though. Alot has changed.   I've been piecemealing a new system since October/2020 due to the lack of hardware availability between Microcenter.  I finally got the last 2 parts from the store.  A week ago  I purchased the AMD RYZEN 5950X CPU, Seasonic 850 watt PSU, ROG STRIX 3070 GPU and a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard with 64GB (4x16GB) of Trident Z RAM (CL16) x4 DIMMS. After assembling it all nothing happened the 1st couple of times I dropped the CPU in the motherboard and the heatsink. So I did a little reading and found out I had to update the BIOS without the CPU, RAM, GPU or anything else plugged in, besides the PSU plugged into the motherboard,  using the Qplus feature button and a USB stick with the newly downloaded ROM file from Gigabyte's website. I got the ROM file, renamed it to GIGABYTE.BIN, copied it over to the USB stick and inserted it into the back of the motherboard's BIOS/USB slot. I did that, it took about 3 minutes, when the USB drive stopped flashing.  Still nothing happens. If I remove the 5950X CPU and flip the power to On, on the PSU, the motherboard power LED lights up along with the RGB on the DIMMS and the rest of the case. I put the CPU back in place, lock it up and nothing happens again. I've already gone through a whole tube of CPU thermal paste trying different things. What else can I do? Any help would be great.
  • Ian
    Options
    Suzukii said:
    Hi everyone. I am not sure II in the right place to be posting this period just let me know if I am not.  Ive been building my own rigs for the past 15 years.  Always with the latest hardware.  Haven't built a system in 5 years though. Alot has changed.   I've been piecemealing a new system since October/2020 due to the lack of hardware availability between Microcenter.  I finally got the last 2 parts from the store.  A week ago  I purchased the AMD RYZEN 5950X CPU, Seasonic 850 watt PSU, ROG STRIX 3070 GPU and a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master motherboard with 64GB (4x16GB) of Trident Z RAM (CL16) x4 DIMMS. After assembling it all nothing happened the 1st couple of times I dropped the CPU in the motherboard and the heatsink. So I did a little reading and found out I had to update the BIOS without the CPU, RAM, GPU or anything else plugged in, besides the PSU plugged into the motherboard,  using the Qplus feature button and a USB stick with the newly downloaded ROM file from Gigabyte's website. I got the ROM file, renamed it to GIGABYTE.BIN, copied it over to the USB stick and inserted it into the back of the motherboard's BIOS/USB slot. I did that, it took about 3 minutes, when the USB drive stopped flashing.  Still nothing happens. If I remove the 5950X CPU and flip the power to On, on the PSU, the motherboard power LED lights up along with the RGB on the DIMMS and the rest of the case. I put the CPU back in place, lock it up and nothing happens again. I've already gone through a whole tube of CPU thermal paste trying different things. What else can I do? Any help would be great.

Greetings. It is possible it is defective and we could look into this further in-store if necessary. Based on the startup sequence, it sounds like perhaps the CPU power (8-pin) is missing / not secure? I would verify that connection is secure. If needed and you would like someone to look over this in person to help verify the issue as well, no appointment needed.

• Suzukii
    Suzukii
    First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the response.  
    It's a moot point now since I've already returned the CPU to the store and got a refund for it along with a refund for everything else I had purchased to put a new system together, minus the new ATX enclosure and 3070 GPU.  I had to give the CPU up and everything else because no one at the store knows or are not at liberty to forward the information as to when the next batch will be coming in, (except to the ones that are clued in that appear to be in on a secret "unofficial" Discord group) and I definitely don't know if I would have been getting a 5950X CPU in the near future with the way things are with the lack of inventory, and I didn't want to get stuck with hardware that I could not return should anything else be defective.
    A bit of my background experience: I'm 50 years old and have been in the I.T. industry since the 90's holding an A-Plus, Network+, CCNA and MCSE certifications for over 15+ years (and have been building my own PC's for 20+ years).  I mention this just to give you a glimpse and a bit of insight.  In telling you this I'm not professing, by no means, nor do I wish to give you the idea that I am some kind of a know-it-all.  I'm just a bit seasoned in the build your own PC arena.
    I've learned a lesson in making future purchases and making returns of any items back to Microcenter.  After being a 15-20+ years, long and loyal customer, the treatment I received and suffered at the store this past Monday evening was undeserving and unwarranted.  
    It all started when at first, within a couple of days of making the CPU purchase, along with everything else required to get a new PC up and running, I took the questionable 5950X CPU back to the Paterson store since I couldn't get it to work.  However using the same hardware I could get a 3950X CPU working in the same mobo hardware.  The store staff and a manager had the audacity to tell me at the store that they were going to charge me $40 to inspect and test the CPU I had just purchased in the store less than 48 hours ago to verify if it's functionality while telling me that I had to wait 1 1/2 weeks because of the backlog. This all started because I was so excited about having gotten my hands on an AMD 5950X CPU that upon purchasing it I had neglected to look at the CPU's packaging when I paid for it at the register. Because I was in a bit of a  bereavement state, due to a recent loss hours earlier, and waiting almost 3 hours on a line in 26 degree (Fahrenheit) weather, 
    I didn't get to the CPU sitting in the Microcenter shopping bag for 24 hours after the purchase, only to find out that the packaging which the CPU comes in, the hard plastic clam shell, had already been cracked open, and had no external seal to break in the 1st place, prior to my purchasing it. In my excitement I said what the hell, and decided to try the CPU anyway. After trying for almost 3 or 4 days, I returned with the processor to the store and they basically looked at me like I was some sort of a guilty criminal with something to hide upon producing the CPU.   Normally I was asked by the cashier why I was returning CPU, after almost 1 minute later, of the register cashier pulling the CPU out of its plastic packaging bare handed, with no antistatic protection gear.   When I was asked by the cashier  as to what was wrong with it, I proceeded to explain how I received the CPU in the 1st place and a minute later he waved a manager over and now there were 2 people at the store register scrutinising the CPU.  Now the two gentlemen  were feverishly scrutinising the CPU,  as if though all of a sudden they were CPU Engineers with microscopes for eyes, handling the CPU with their bare hands and, again, no antistatic protective gear.  They proceeded to tell me that the CPU had a couple of bent/misaligned pins of which I could not see with my bare eyes, nor with my reading glasses on.  The glances and distrusting looks that I was receiving from each of them for about 2 minutes, were unnerving and I had to keep my composure before I told them what was really going through my mind.  Finally, the manager stated he would take it back, but he didn't hold back on giving me a lecture and a warning, as if speaking down to a miscreant child.  He stated he would make an exception, "this one time for me", in accepting the return.
    The possible next time I go to purchase anything at Microcenter I will make sure it is not an open item of any kind. The customer service I received that day was unwarranted, undeserving and unprofessional and I would gladly point fingers and give up names if i knew someone higher up could or would care enough to ever ask me about them.  I am sure they could scrutinise the video of the event this past Monday evening, between 7pm and 8pm,  of them hovering over the processor when I returned it and study my body language to see how uncomfortable they made me, a long time, loyal, frequently returning customer.  After this experience I will not make Microcenter my 1st choice for purchasing tech enthusiast high-end items  Instead I will make my future purchases more frequent online 1st.  
    Well, one less person to get onto the wee hour lines waiting for that hard to get opportunity to score a great piece enthusiast item.  
    Sad as to how far this store,  in Paterson, has fallen.  Really sorry for the long rant.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99