Need Help Choosing Parts

Options
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice.  I'm not a gamer, so I don't need a high-end video card, just the ability to have dual-monitors.  The primary use is support of my amateur radio station's software and hardware, with occasional video conferencing and general office/home computing.  I'm moving up from a 10-year old system I built with an Athlon II cpu and 16 Gb ram that is frequently cpu-constrained at 100%.  So instead of a cpu with integrated graphic support I do want a separate video card that will leave the cpu more free for other tasks.  The motherboard should be able to support the graphics card and still have enough slots to accommodate two or three add-in cards (e.g., serial port card).   The peripheral radio equipment will utilize both RS-232 serial and USB (probably 2.0) connections.  I'll be dual-booting with both Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and Linux.
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=356e383b-8e40-438a-b257-6200b200d654

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @SW1968

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community! 

The build looks perfect for what you plan are doing, with the only change being a cheaper GPU if you are only needing to display on two monitors.  Other than that, it all looks good and ready to go.  
  • SW1968
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback.  I changed the video card to a ASUS GeForce GT 1030 Passive 2GB GDDR5 PCIe Graphics card, at about half the price, per your suggestion.  It turned out the ASUS motherboard was sold out, and I ended up going with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard instead.
    It's interesting to me that the X570 motherboards, even the higher end ones, have fewer expansion slots than my 10-12 year old Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 motherboard, which had onboard graphics integrated in the Northbridge plus 7 expansion slots (2 PCIe x16 slots, 3 PCIe x1 slots, and 2 PCI slots.  Why is that?
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    @SW1968

There isn't an official source that states why the PCI-e slots have lowered but it could probably be attributed to the low usage of add on cards.  Most gaming builds will do 1 GPU and that's it, with some adding a Sound Card or a Capture Card.  At most, there is really just an add on card and a GPU nowadays.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99