Brand New AMD Ryzen with Bent Pins

Options
SeanE
SeanE
Name Dropper First Comment
Hello. I bought an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X last Friday and I tried to install it today.  It fit into the motherboard just fine, and then I tried to install the stock Wraith Prism cooler with preapplied thermal paste. I couldn't get the fan to hook up properly, so I tried to reorient it. What happened instead is that the cooler pulled out the CPU with it (stuck to the paste) and I couldn't drop it back into the CPU socket, so I tried to remove the CPU. And much to my horror, the CPU slipped out of my hands and dropped on the table. I looked at it and there were a few bent pins on the outside.

Now, the CPU for the most part was able to fit into most of the socket, but it also shakes when I move it (the bent pins). I just got into an online chat with a Micro Center representative and he told me that this $400 CPU can't be exchanged for another one because of a few bent pins. I'm absolutely livid now. I spent about $2,500 on all PC parts and I'm really considering returning everything I have on me possible. This is my first build and I'm aware I might make some mistakes along the way, but this little incident already costed me $400. I'm losing my nerve here.

I'm trying to reorient the pins on the CPU with a toothpick, but they're simply not straightening up. I'm... I think I'm done with this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I bought a $300 2-year bundle protection plan with all this. It slipped my mind as I was talking to the customer rep.

Comments

• JS_MC
    Options
    Hello @SeanE, welcome to the community.
    I'm sorry to hear that you dropped your CPU. I'd recommend coming into the store to speak with a manager about this.
    It's possible they may be able to find a solution for you. However, the information that the rep shared with you is true. Physical damage is not covered by the manufacture or our extended warranty.
  • SeanE
    Options
    I understand, so I tried an alternative. I got a fruit knife that's thin enough to fit in between the pins and managed to align them just enough for the CPU to plug back into the socket flawlessly. I'm hoping this will allow the CPU to work without problems, but I tend to have bad luck like this quite often.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99