Router upgrade needed

Options
Looking for router recommendations. Been considering Asus products and TP-link. Currently have a cable provider modem and router, Cox Cable/ Cisco components. Wifi signal periodically drops on one side of house possibly due to wall obstruction. House is a ranch with 936 sqft., first floor. No real need for basement coverage. Would a new modem also be required with a router upgrade? Is upgrading difficult to do as a DIY project? I'm not a teckie...

Comments

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hey @Jase Is the unit that you currently have from your ISP a modem/router combo or is it two separate devices?
    You may need to purchase a new modem if it is just one device. Your ISP should have a list of compatible modems if this is the case.
    The specific router that I'd recommend would depend on the speed of your internet.
    I'd recommend this as a general solution as it works in most cases. Setup is very easy with most ISPs.
    If you have any questions about this info, I'd be happy to talk more, or our associates in the store are very knowledgeable as well!

• Jase
    Options
    I have two separate devices. I believe the internet speed is 150. Someone told me a range extender may be a choice over a new router. The Cisco models I have are DPQ3212 and DPC3825. I appreciate your responses.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    From a brief google search, it looks like both of these items are Modems. However, if you're planning to keep the wired modem and connect the wireless router to it, the ASUS router I linked above will work well for you!
    Another option for you would be this tenda system.
    It has one base and one repeater that works to expand your total signal area!
  • Jase
    Options
    I appreciate your feedback. Being two separate boxes I thought one was a router and the other a modem. Looks like I have a combo unit, but wonder why there are two modems (???). Maybe this is too complicated for me to address and I should leave what's well enough alone. Feeling a bit discouraged...
  • JS_MC
    Options
    It could be that your ISP has a reason for this. I'd contact them directly to ask about it.
    Setup for the ASUS router that I recommended above can be done from your phone. ASUS support has a step by step guide that you can view.
    It'll give some insight into what you can expect if you decide to set up your own router.

• Jase
    Options
    Landshark, checked with the ISP. One is a modem/ router for the internet. The other is for our phone line. They advised a need for a modem and a router upgrade to be Cox compatible, 350mbps and DOCS 3.0 or above.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    Ahh! That makes sense. We can work with that 😁
    Here's a list of Cable Modems Some have WiFi capabilities. Others are wired only and will need a wireless router.
    The wireless routers I mentioned above are compatible with any of these cable modems.
  • Jase
    Options
    Lots to look at and consider. Thanks for all your guidance. I stopped by a store. Varying staff, varying opinions, but a hard press to go 3.1 for future sustainability. Just not sure that I want to spend $350 or more on this upgrade and I don't think I'm in the gigabit club for internet speed by need or ISP cost. When I did talk to Cox, they had a panel modem/ router they touted at $26/ month additional fee for better coverage range and 2x the speed. Gotta say, this whole exploration is a bit heady for me. Could be I'm just getting to old for all this tech advancement. Here's a question for you: will a newer modem and router provide any better speed than what I currently have given no change to the 150 service I get currently from Cox?  I know I can get better range per your suggestions and that may be enough for now, but just wondering.
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @Jase

Your internet provider should provide you a router and modem that will match the service you have.  If you have plans to upgrade your internet, they will also come out and replace their equipment to the proper equipment as well.  If you pick your own equipment, an upgrade should just go through assuming that the equipment you have works for the better service.  

Your own router may provide better speed at farther distances alongside the increased range.  
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99