Light gaming and video editing

Options
Hello, I reviewed the "How to choose parts..." by TSTonyV and greatly appreciated that. I learned a lot. I don't wish to be a bother, but I would appreciate some guidance on either choosing a pre-built PC or building my own. My budget is about $500 or less.

Most days, I'm running online classes with video, using MS Office, and browsing the web.
My heavier applications with occasional use are HitFilmExpress and Lightworks for video editing (mostly "how-to" videos for YouTube and some basic music videos). I also play the new Age of Empires DE series of games, 1 & 2. My current build isn't powerful enough to run AoE3.

My current PC is a 10 year old HP 8100 Elite Small Form Factor with an i7 1st Gen processor with Win10 Pro. I upgraded to a SSD, 12 GB RAM, and the GT710 1 GB graphics card and I feel like it flies...until I try to do anything involving video editing or gaming. Then it really shows its age. I thought about simply upgrading the graphics card but that would require a better PSU. The PSU in my PC is proprietary and, the way the interior is shaped, I don't think I could fit any aftermarket part in there.
Here's my current idea for a setup:
  • i5 10th Gen processor
  • Cheap/budget motherboard and case.
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • 4 GB graphics card
  • 350+ Watt PSU
  • Budget heat sink
Since my SSD and HDD are fairly new (less than 2 years) and fast, I'm happy to keep these and place them in my new PC. Is there any hardware that I'm leaving out that the custom build would need? Does any of this sound like I'm shortchanging myself or doing more than necessary for a low to mid grade set up?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Answer

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello @JeromeHobbit

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center community!  Taking a look at what your idea is, it looks like a solid budget build!  I don't think there is anything missing from what besides peripherals which sounds like you have.  This is definitely a lowish grade setup that becomes a mid grade setup with the introduction of a GPU.  

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99