Looking for Home Network Help/Advice

Frac22
Frac22
First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
I recently moved into an old Victorian house, and I am struggling with my home network connectivity. 
The house has a small footprint with 3 stories.  The major issue seems to be with the tin ceilings on the 1st and 2nd floors which limit my WiFi signal significantly (I also still have a few walls that are horsehair plaster).  I am thinking of upgraded to a mesh router setup but wanted to ask the community about this.

Suspecting the tin ceilings would be a problem I have already hardwired cat6 cable into each floor of the house.  The current wiring has each floor hardwired into the basement, with 3 separate cables.  I was planning on using a network switch in the basement and then getting a router for each floor of the house, is this overkill?  
Can I run the network switch in the basement and have the router on the 2nd floor with a satellite on the 1st and 3rd floors?  Since I have the hardwired lines between the routers and satellites can I save money and get a cheaper mesh network without the dedicated backhaul channel or do I still need to pony up for the tri-band systems.  Still doing research on how the new WiFi 6 and mesh systems work, but any pointers or advice is welcomed.

My service provider is FIOS, and I am currently using my own router a Netgear Nighthawk R700P.  I only get signal on the 1st floor as it can not penetrate the ceiling for the 2nd and 3rd floors.

Answers

• Hello @Frac22

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community! 

Just to check, you have your router and access to ethernet ports on each floor?  Rather than doing a network switch to three separate routers, I recommend using the router as the main source and connecting Access Points instead.  This is similar to a college campus or an airport where there are multiple access points all for just one network and you can seamlessly switch between them.  

Here are some NetGear Access Points that may be of interest
  • Hi TSPhillipT, 
    I do have ethernet ports on each floor.  Currently it is 3 separate wires, 1 to each floor.  
    I could just run the router in the basement, and then 3 access points (one on each floor).  Was hoping to use the switch in the basement just to connect all the cables, and to reduce the number of access points I need. 
    Looking at the linked access points, what is the comparison between the Orbi and the Nighthawk?  I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between the wireless standard:
    Nighthawk: AX1800
    Orbi: AX6000

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99