PowerSpec Displays Go Black for a few Seconds

Options
I just got my PowerSpec G467 home 2 days ago and have had this happen twice in those 2 days: While having about 3-5 Chrome tabs open, using 2 displays, both displays went entirely black for about 5 seconds and came back on.  I'm concerned because I live stream for a few small clients and I need to use a rig that is up to the task... if $3000 doesn't buy a machine that's up to the task, I have problems!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Chad

Comments

• Ian
    Options
    CLaFarge said:
    I just got my PowerSpec G467 home 2 days ago and have had this happen twice in those 2 days: While having about 3-5 Chrome tabs open, using 2 displays, both displays went entirely black for about 5 seconds and came back on.  I'm concerned because I live stream for a few small clients and I need to use a rig that is up to the task... if $3000 doesn't buy a machine that's up to the task, I have problems!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Chad
    Greetings. Could very well be a driver issue with the video card. I would suggest following our guide for clean installing your video card drivers and see if that helps. Here is a link to that: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10#latest 
  • CLaFarge
    Options
    Working through that... I'm also VERY disturbed to find that MicroCenter's PowerSpec Drivers tool, from https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/tech-support.aspx#options does not have ANY drivers available. Clicking any provided link yields "Not Found". What if I need to update BIOS or other drivers? What's the return policy?
  • TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @CLaFarge
    All of the drivers can be found by navigating to the manufacturer site of the part that you want. When it comes to updating the BIOS, you can find that on the motherboards website. So the drivers for your 3080 can be found here on NVIDIA's website.

As for the return policy, you have until Jan 15th to exchange or return the PC as it qualifies for our holiday return period since it was purchased after 11/2 and before 12/24.
  • CLaFarge
    CLaFarge ✭✭
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'll see where I land with this issue... currently, it looks like the rig might be underpowered, and 850 might be the right place to land. Not sure how this would be received because I asked prior to purchase if I could upgrade RAM and balance the cost of the new against the value of the original and told I could, but at the store told it was not how you worked and I'd have to buy the new and keep the old regardless of not wanting to keep the different type. Luckily, the old was a compatible flavor. 
  • TS_JosephF
    Options
    @CLaFarge
    Yeah 750w is the minimum requirement for the 3080. Upgrading the PSU would not be a bad choice if you wanted to. As for upgrading a pre-built system, we do have the option but we do not pro-rate the cost or subtract the cost of the parts that were originally installed. So I apologize if you were told otherwise. 
  • CLaFarge
    Options
    You're killing me: "The system will work, just not as designed or sold:  You have to give up your PS and buy a new PS to make it work." Is that what you're telling me?!?
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @CLaFarge

The 750W Power Supply that comes with the PowerSpec G467 should be more than enough to power the GPU.  The only reason I can see the power supply being inefficient is if you were looking to overclock the CPU and/or GPU.  

Trying to figure out the exact issue is a bit hard, as it looks like you have gone through most software issues regarding the drivers of the GPU including doing a clean install of the drivers.  Especially since it's happening to both monitors at the same time, it does point to it being a GPU issue.  The PowerSpec is covered by the warranty and we can definitely take a look at this issue in store and remedy this issue.  Would it be possible for you to bring back the PowerSpec and we can get this working?  
  • CLaFarge
    Options
    I'll see if I can swing by over the weekend... day job pretty busy at the moment.
    Thank you, Phillip.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99