Sons first build for Christmas

Options
Need any suggestions.  I have put this list together regarding parts that are currently available.  I've never built a PC but my son is wanting to put one together for Christmas.  I'm willing to wait till after Christmas to see if more graphic cards become available.  If i need to change anything please let me know.  Any input is appreciated!
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=e6e95fdb-62cf-46ec-bc70-533357654b9e

Answers

• HI! The PC looks good, however I do have some recomendations that can help lower cost, and increase speeds. 
    First of all, the new 10th gen Intel CPU's do look and on paper sound very nice. However I would actually recommend going instead for a AMD Ryzen 5 3600. My reason for this is that the Ryzen 3600 actually out performs the 10600K in quite a few areas. Another benefit is that it is also $50 cheaper than the 10600K. In saying that, you will also need a change in motherboard. I recommend going with something either ATX or sticking with mATX is fine, but you have an ATX case and it will look quite empty. I have two options that I would recommend, one being the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX. It is a full ATX motherboard and will fill up many gaps, while holding a lot more features including more m.2 drive storage, 2 more dimm slots, and a better I/O. For mATX, I recommend the Asrock B450-HDV as it has a lot of features for being a mATX board. The only downside of it is that it only has 2 dimm slots so a maximum of 32GB of ram. 

Another thing that I would definalty recommend changing would be the PSU. Although the PSU is 500 Watts and would be more than enough to run your 10600K or the Ryzen 3600, when you take into account the GPU, which really depends on what GPU you get, more wattage and a more quality PSU is recommended. I really do recommend spending some extra money on something like a Corsair CX650M as that powers my system with a Ryzen 5 3600 and an RTX 2060. 

Another part that I would consider changing is the case. The case is very high end and looks very good, but depending on your components, the 3 included RGB fans are a lot to pay for for a case of $150. I recommend something like the Fractal Design Meshify C, or the NZXT H510i (If you want some RGB in it.) With both of these options you can find some cheaper RGB fans also if you really want those fans. 

Finally, the last thing I recommend is throwing in a Seagate Barricuda 2TB drive. It is only $55 and has a fairly fast RPM of 7200. It will hold your son's entire steam library and more and will help him keep all of his games installed and not have to uninstall games to play newer ones. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99