HDD running at 100% while SSD at 1%

Options
So my pc works relatively well however, whenever I try to download/unpack files through steam it takes FOREVER. I'm thinking this may be because my HDD has an active time of 100%, while my SSD has an active time of only 1%. What are some potential causes of this issue and is there anything I can do to fix it? I should also note that the read and write speed of my HDD is inconsistent. It'll go from 10mb/s to 500kb/s randomly. There's 1TB of space left on the HDD so space isn't the issue here.

Comments

• TSTDavey
    Options
    Hello @Colin_G thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. I'm assuming your SSD is your Windows C: drive and your HDD is your secondary drive, which you say is at 100% usage, is that correct? Is your Steam downloading path setup for your HDD (2ndary drive) to download files or is it setup for you C: drive? Just a few questions from us to understand your issue. Sounds like a program running behind the scenes maybe bottle-necking your system. Have you also ran a virus scan with you anti-virus software recently? 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99