Drive Bay for G164

JohnnyD
JohnnyD
edited January 2021 in General Discussion

Hello,

I just bought a PowerSpec G164. I salvaged a hard drive from my previous laptop and wanted to add it in. I could not find any space to put my 2.5 SSD  in the case. Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Hello @JohnnyD thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Sorry for the late reply. This G164 is an advance build. It should have a single 2.5" bay on the bottom. You'll have flip it over and unscrew the compartment on the bottom to see the extra bay. You'll have then dive deeper on the other side to the right of the CPU (per your picture) and remove that area to reach it. It can be a little challenging. If you are not comfortable doing all of this, we recommend to bring it to the store and have the guys there install your addition SSD. Its 79.99 to install a hard drive.
  • Hi, I don’t see the additional bay. Is there something I need to purchase?
  • @Dynamix you shouldn't to purchase an additional bay. I would recommend to bring it to the store, just the tower. They can show you what all to remove to get to the 2.5" bay. There is a lot of you have to take off.
  • @Dynamix I need to apologize to you. I had to look up the G164 on what chassis it has. I thought it had the Lian Li Micro ATX 205 chassis which has additonal 2.5" bays. The G164 has the Lian Li Micro ATX 170 which does not have the additional 2.5' bays. I stand corrected and I apologize for the confusion. 
  • I was in this same boat earlier this year. The 2.5 SSD mount you're looking for is directly under wire shroud. It says Lian Li on the side. It you look on the underside of it, there are four slots to mount a SSD drive :-)

It's actually showing in the photo you posted above. I own the same exact model so, I'm speaking from personal experience. Just to be clear- In the opening message you say you salvaged a hard drive (HDD) but, then you say SSD. This location will allow for a 2.5 SSD but, not a HDD. Hope this helps.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99