Inland Premium 512GB NVME. Very Slow Write Speeds

Options
SteveB
SteveB
Name Dropper First Comment
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
I picked up an Inland Premium NVME about a month ago and I've looked everywhere for answers as to why my write speed has decreased drastically.

When I first got the new SSD it was performing perfectly (I still had windows running on my old SSD, there was nothing on the NVME). I was getting 3500/2500MB/s on crystal disk mark and was ecstatic that I was getting higher speeds than advertised. When I tried to do a speed test about 30 minutes later (still with nothing on the drive) I was getting write speeds of 500MB/s, not the 2500MB/s i was getting earlier. Eventually I did a fresh install of Windows on the drive and put some stuff on it and still no change, I was still getting the same 500MB/s write speeds. I've spent so much time researching why this is happening and now I'm starting to wonder if there is no fix and maybe my drive is defective.

(Side note - I dont think it's thermal throttling. Temperatures are anywhere from 25-40C under full load.)
My full specs:
Mobo: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200Mhz.

CrystalDiskMark Screenshot:

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetings @SteveB

I know you've already done a clean install. What I would ask that you zero the drive out from diskpart this time before reinstalling and test again. From the media Shift + F10 and type: diskpart

list disk

Select Disk # (the NVME drive)

Clean all

This is going to take a while, it'll zero the drive, there's no status indicator. Then you can close the command prompt and install the OS.
  • BTranS
    Options
    Got the same problem, please lmk if you fixed it. Thanks
  • SteveB
    Options
    Thank you for the response @TSMikeW! I would really like to try a fresh start again but sadly I don't have another drive with enough space to backup the current one. I've done a lot of experimenting trying to boot windows off of a different drive and doing a speed test on the NVME, etc... and it doesn't seem like I'm getting any better results. I've tried disabling/re-enabling write caching and all of the windows functions for SSD's to no avail either. I also made sure my NVME slot was running at PCI-e Gen 3 speeds just to rule that out and that didn't seem to be the issue either. Theoretically, If I was to go about a return for this item, since I'm out of my 15 day return policy window but it has a manufacturers warranty instead, would I have to get it replaced or could I get a refund and maybe get a different brand drive instead? Thanks again for all the help.
  • SteveB
    Options
    I'd also like to include that I have tried your steps previously with no success sadly. When I first got the drive and noticed it was running slow I used diskpart to wipe the disk and tried to reinstall windows 2 times.
  • JS_MC
    Options
    I'd recommend bringing it into our store. If you're past the 15 day return period, it would fall to the manufacture's warranty, which in this case, would still be us! Typically it would be a replacement, as we often have the item in stock. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99