What is the best approach to put together a Raspberry Pi temperature logger?

I am contemplating a project to data log three temperature probes (K type) from a fermenter into a Raspberry Pi - directly into a spreadsheet with a graphical output.  I have no Pi experience, but from a crude search, I know it is possible.  I can handle the spreadsheet stuff, but I need help on what type of equipment to purchase (type of Pi, accessory boards, cables).  I have the K probes, a wireless keyboard and mouse.  I also have an old RGB TV that I'd like to use - which I understand can be hooked to a Pi.  Ultimately, I'd like to run some thermodynamic/fermentation modeling with the data - which I can do myself, probably with Python.  Of course, I could do this by buying some off the shelf stuff, but I'd like the challenge and I'd like to do it on the cheap. 

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Greetings @Bouvet

Hardware wise just, the sensors, wire, and you'll need a resistor for pull up. You're using it for a fermenter so I'd look at the Adafruit DS18B20. The wire is shrink wrapped and they include a 4.7K resistor. It's waterproofed. From there it's just wire and connecting the temperature sensors and resistor. 

As for the Raspberry Pi I'd buy the 3 B+. You don't necessarily need it but it's $25 for the 1GB version.

There are a few other things that would make it easier to assemble. I'd get a Pi Cobbler and a breadboard.
  • Thank you!  This helps.  I appreciate it.  Since I am happy with my k-type temperature probes for a couple of reasons.  How do I get them to connect to the Pi?  I see some small modules out there that seem to go between the probes and the Pi.  Are they needed?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @Bouvet

You'll be using the I2C bus to record data. So basically you're going to a GPIO pin for data, 3.3V to ground, K type should be 3-5V operating voltage. The resistor between the GPIO and and 3.3V for pull up. And then your ground of course. Easier with the breadboard and a cobbler. Just be careful and mindful of the power requirements. There are plenty of diagrams and guides online for connecting several temperature probes. to a Raspberry Pi.

There's a good diagram in this article that should illustrate it pretty well: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-temperature-sensor/

You can use the cobbler to connect the GPIO to the breadboard via a ribbon cable, probably a little easier.
  • AlexPasseno
    AlexPasseno Store Associate
    5 Likes Micro Center Store Associate First Answer Name Dropper

The Pimoroni enviro is a really good all in one solution for you with minimal work, you can even get one with an air quality sensor on it to.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99