G463 Crashing while playing games

Got this computer probably a year ago. I never really pushed it to the limit. Now I've been getting some newer games and having issues where the screen would freeze and the audio would get stuck. The only remedy was to hard reset. Cyberpunk 2077 is different in that I just get sent to the desktop with CD Project Red sending me a crash report, saying that it was a GPU crash for unknown reasons. 
     First thing I did was a clean install of the new Nvidia drivers, no luck. Kept watch on temps and the GPU never exceeded 84C. Changed some fan speeds anyways, got it to stay around 75C, no luck. I re-plugged the pci-e cords attaching to the graphics card, thought one felt like it wasn't in right. Still no luck. Played the game on it's lowest setting, still crashed.
      I have no idea what the issue is. I did find some people saying that the RTX 2080 TI requires 2 Pci-E cords instead of the 1 split, but I don't think my PSU has the ability to add another cord. What should I do?

Comments

• Ian
    Ian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eighth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls 500 Likes 5 LOLs
    Bryan1 said:
    Got this computer probably a year ago. I never really pushed it to the limit. Now I've been getting some newer games and having issues where the screen would freeze and the audio would get stuck. The only remedy was to hard reset. Cyberpunk 2077 is different in that I just get sent to the desktop with CD Project Red sending me a crash report, saying that it was a GPU crash for unknown reasons. 
         First thing I did was a clean install of the new Nvidia drivers, no luck. Kept watch on temps and the GPU never exceeded 84C. Changed some fan speeds anyways, got it to stay around 75C, no luck. I re-plugged the pci-e cords attaching to the graphics card, thought one felt like it wasn't in right. Still no luck. Played the game on it's lowest setting, still crashed.
          I have no idea what the issue is. I did find some people saying that the RTX 2080 TI requires 2 Pci-E cords instead of the 1 split, but I don't think my PSU has the ability to add another cord. What should I do?
    Greetings. The card would require an 8-pin and 6-pin adapter. The power supply should have 2 PCI adapters for 6+2 pin.
    You can try a clean install of the graphics drivers with the DDU tool if you have not. We have a step by step guide found on the 2nd post in this thread here on our community: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10#latest 

• I ran a GPU benchmark program and it actually resulted in artifacting.
  • Hello @Bryan1 i'm just chiming in. Yeah artifacting is not good when it comes to a GPU. I'd still recommend to try what @Ian had recommended and use the DDU tool mentioned in the Microcenter community link. Then reinstall the drivers from scratch. Then see if it still causes artifacting. If so, then its probably the GPU. I'm assuming you have a manufacturer's warranty on 2080. Or if you have a Microcenter replacement plan, you could bring it back to the store. 
  • I have used the DDU tool and reinstalled clean drivers twice now. Still having problems. I believe I'm still within Powerspec's 1 year warranty. Do I just bring it to a microcenter store then?
  • Yes, you can bring the desktop into our service department and let them know about the issues you're having with your device as well as the troubleshooting you've done already. They'll be happy to take it from there! Our service department is first come first serve, so no appointment is needed!
  • MY FIX: RESET BIOS SETTINGS TO DEFAULT

So I brought my PC back to microcenter. At first they didn't acknowledge the artifacting on the gpu and I had to take it back and reset windows. After I reset windows with no change to my problem, I brought it back. This time they found the issue and replaced the graphics card. This fixed my artifacting problem and everything seemed good. Started up a game was running everything fine, all the temps were good, everything was up to date, 20 minutes into playing... crash.

I spent 5 days researching and trying to diagnose my problem, I tried everything I possibly could do on my side. Except for updating BIOS. So I went on to research how to do that and what steps I should take. Well, not to long into researching about that, I found out powerspec PCs are built with a altered BIOS that doesn't receive updates from powerspec. They believe their settings are best fit for your PC and will last you till the end of time. Well, I'm here to tell you they messed up. Whatever settings they changed in the BIOS is what was conflicting with other parts in the computer and causing the system to crash under intense pressure of a gaming.

I reset the BIOS settings to default as a hail Mary after figuring out about the bios settings that they've adjusted. After reseting the settings my computer joined the Dark side. The interior lights were blue, now they are pulsing Red. Everything is working as intended and I now have the computer I was supposed to have over 1 year ago. I'm here to thank microcenter for the headache, as well as to inform any other powerspec owners out their having similar issues to just try this simple fix.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99