3080 not performing

Options
I've tried everything that everyone has told me and I still cannot figure out my problem with my 3080. My build is a 750watt gold corsair psu, intel i7-10700k, z490 aorus elite ac MB, 32 GB 3600 ram, and a gigbyte aorus master 3080. I've done everything everyone has asked me to try with getting rid of my drivers with DDU, I've made sure all my cables are properly hooked up with two 6+2 pins that are separate cables, when I run 3d mark I get scores on par with other 3080's, I don't overheat. I have to use something called nvidia inspector to force it into using 100% power, but even then it doesn't perform as well as my 1660 super I replaced. When I actually play video games I get subpar fps that is lower than my old fps. Every single part in my computer is brand new except for my ssd that had windows on it. It performs in 3dmark, but when I actually try to play video games it just doesn't perform and I'm at a lost. It is directly hook with display port to my 144 fps 1080p monitor which it should be crushing, but I'm lucky to keep steady fps in a game. If I don't use nvidia inspector it simply does not run at all with a max of 10 fps if I'm lucky. There will be times the core clock will randomly run at 1100 without me changing anything and then five minutes later it will go back to normal. The same happens to the memory clock as well, but it never goes above 60 Celsius. Gigabyte support hasn't helped at all and no one can figure out my problem.  Any help is appreciated please. 

Comments

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Hello @Beansthelegend
    I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your new 3080. Do you still happen to have the 1660 Super? If so, I recommend installing that one again to help troubleshoot. If the 1660 Super is able to provide a consistent fps at 1080p then it is likely the 3080 is defective. Of course, you will have to go through the process of removing the 3080 drivers and reinstalling the 1660 super drivers but this would at least be able to give you the definite answer on if you need to exchange your 3080 or not. Which I can already imagine that is the last thing you want to do. 
    Let us know how the system runs with the 1660 and we can go from there.
  • I did have the 1660 in my computer when I first got all the new parts except for my 3080 cause I was waiting on it to get here for shipping. During that time It seemed like it was actually not getting as much fps as my old computer which had the same 1660 super in it, but it wasn't horribly inconsistent, running at 10 fps, etc like the 3080 is. It was only like a 10-20 fps difference from old computer to new for it, but my 3080 is running even lower than that for some reason. 
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @Beansthelegend

Do you still have the 1660 Super?  If so, can you put it back in and see how it performs again?  
  • @TSPhillipT
    Yes I still have it. I'll take some time and put back in to see how it performs. Though with my 3080 on 3d mark it performs, but in actual it doesn't so I can't exactly test it completely or rather show fps differences. 
  • So I've put my 1660 super back and tested it and the biggest difference in the same games with the same settings is about 40 fps at peak between the 1660 and 3080. It was more consistently around 20 fps difference. Though when I do 3d mark I get a score of 4100 on my 1660 and 13800 on my 3080. So they test extremely different. However in my actual playing of games there is barely a difference.  @TSPhillipT @TS_JosephF
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    @Beansthelegend
    Are you seeing that weird 10FPS low when using the 1660 Super?  
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    @Beansthelegend

Hmm, so you aren't seeing any of the weird quirks you are seeing with the 3080?  This honestly sounds like an issue with the 3080 if everything works fine with the 1660 Super and not the 3080.  On your Z490 motherboard, have you tried putting your 3080 into the PCIe 8x slot or is that to low?  Give that a try and see what frames you are getting.
  • I've only put it into the x16 slot and haven't tried the other one. I'm not sure if it would fit into that slot since its pretty low and I have a gpu brace as well which extends it too so with the added width I'll see if it fits. Also yes I'm not getting any of the weird quirks I am seeing with the 3080 either. @TSPhillipT

• I've actually got a friend who has a computer I can put my 3080 and going to test it. Hopefully tomorrow I can see if its the 3080 itself or something with my computer. @TSPhillipT @TSJ
  • Beansthelegend
    edited December 2020
    Options
    So I've brought it to another computer to test it and it still had the same mishaps. It tested amazing and then when you run a game it performs at the same level as his 1080 even though it crushed his 3d mark by more than double. So it is something with the card itself, but it preforms on tests, but in actual use it doesn't which makes me think its some sort of software thing, but all the drivers are up to date.  @TSPhillipT @TS_JosephF
  • TSTDavey
    Options
    Hello @Beansthelegend just chiming in with the others. Like it was mentioned by @TSPhillipT and @TS_JosephF the card could be he issue. Sorry you are having these issues. It should have a manufacturers warranty that it can be RMA'd on. There is shortage on 3080 in the store. If you are within the return period (30 days), there is no guarantee we can exchange the 3080 for another one due to the 3000 series shortage. 
  • Hey it does have a manufacturers warranty of 4 years, but I bought the card through newegg and have been in contact with gigabyte support. They just simply wanted me to do the first simple steps and since they didn't work they want me to rma it. I jut don't understand whats going on. It just fluctuates in its power draw depending on what I'm playing, but never gets to where it runs at during 3d mark. 3d mark is steady 340w's and it crushes the tests. In actual game play on WoW it runs at 40-90w's, Warzone it runs 220w's, tarkov it runs 170 w's, 80-100w's on risk of rian 2, and 160w's on outerworlds and so forth. It's completely different on every game I run for some reason and its not fps limited ever, because the fps is everywhere all the time.  @TSTDavey
  • TSTDavey
    Options
    @Beansthelegend Yeah i'd do the RMA. It seems to be the card. One more thing to look at. Make sure your power options for Windows is set to High Performance. Then test the card again. See link below on how to do it for Windows.
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v85131538 
  • I am set to high performance. 
  • TSTDavey
    Options
    @Beansthelegend okay, then yeah do the RMA. Its the card.
  • StormSniper_
    Options
    @Beansthelegend, I think I know what is up. In the past, Aorus Cards have had a good cooler, but for some, the cooler does not work. Alternatively, you could have recieved a bad BIOS, and you can flash it back using an older BIOS on your motherboard's driver page.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99