Computer powers on but no display

Options
TreeWuver
TreeWuver
Name Dropper First Comment
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
I bought an Asus ROG Strix GL10DH a couple weeks back on Black Friday, and has been doing me well, but a couple days ago whilst playing minecraft, my computer goes black. I let it sit there for a bit till I finally forced it to shut down. I booted it back up with the nice roar of my fans as they calm down but only to find a no signal on my screen. A couple more attempts, with some success on getting onto the bios, and once into the desktop of windows, but, it soon led me to a no signal page. I reseated the ram and the gpu many times, tested the gpu on my brothers computer with it working, and as it stands, I currently have a better psu in my household, so I can't test the psu. As I'm out of ideas, I would appreciate any input.

Answers

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @TreeWuver

Thank you for posting on the Micro Center Community!  

That is a strange issue with your computer, and there could be a lot of different things that can be the issue.  Have you tried borrowing your brothers RAM?  Also just to confirm, the PC remains on, fans are spinning and you do not see any display?  I also recommend taking a look at our No Post Troubleshooting Guide.  It could be a CPU or PSU issue, and those would usually be hard to figure out without using confirmed working parts.

You can also bring it to our service desk and we can definitely take a good look at the build if you would like to bring it in.  
  • TreeWuver
    TreeWuver
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me @TSPhillipT
    As it stands right now I am able to turn on my computer, allowing for the LEDs to light up and the fans to spin, but I receive a no signal and it doesn't allow for my keyboard our mouse to turn on when I have them plugged in. When the Fans spin up, they usually go roaring, and then slow down. I have yet to ask my brother to test with his stick of RAM, but as per to the No Post Troubleshooting Guide, I have tested my ram through the various ways that were described. There were some rare occasions when I was able to turn on my computer and it has led me to the ASUS loading screen, and when it attempts to transition to windows, it turns off my keyboard and mouse and gives a no signal, but the computer remains on. Other attempts, I have managed to get into the BIOS and I gave it a BIOS update through EzFlash, and after doing so, I attempted to boot up windows installer through my flashdrive, in attempt to rollback on any drivers I may so happen to installed, but it lead me to the no signal page. I have attempted to load up windows installer many times, but before I could get it to boot, It has lead me to the no signal page. I wouldn't guarantee on the chances on getting into the BIOS as the majority of times I turn on my computer, It has lead me to the no signal page. There isn't much more I can think of to test, other than trying out another stick of RAM, or another CPU, so if there isn't much more that I can try, I would try the service desk.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    @TreeWuver

You're going to need alternate parts to test with to verify the issue. Sounds like a GPU issue to me, everything seems to post every time, based on the fan acoustics you described. Seems like the issue is video output.
  • TreeWuver
    TreeWuver
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @TSMikeW @TSPhillipT After some more test on my other brothers computer, we have found that the CPU is what is defective, and that the other components seem to be functional. As I had this computer for a little bit under a month, is it possible to come back and replace the defective CPU with a working one, or would I have to Purchase a new working one. I appreciate your input, and thank you for your time.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    @TreeWuver

We can generally extend the return policy to 30 days on an item like this. I would bring it in and speak to a manager about this.
  • TreeWuver
    Options
    @TSMikeW OK, nice to know. Thanks for getting back so fast.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99