Need Help Choosing Parts Please !!! ( In Depth Writing )

Sylvec
Sylvec ✭✭
Photogenic First Comment
edited December 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
I put this parts list together and am looking for some advice. https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=9d855ee7-3316-4d2d-aaf8-f7a892827aff     My Budget is $800 - $1400. My goal is to run a successful stream using stream labs, to capture my game play onto twitch. The game I mostly play is League Of Legends ( perhaps I will try new games when my stream grows and get recommendations I like). ( League of Legends is not graphic intensive although I plan on trying other games not at 4k though). I have never built a desktop and have been trying to find the most efficient parts for this price range used for the activities listed. I do not fully know how to build a desktop myself but I will read and research into the subject, If I do not feel confident because it seems too complicated or intensely difficult I might just get someone else to build it for me. In the link I prioritized in this order: 1. CPU ( To run the commands at peak efficiency for gaming and streaming, thus I will not lag and have good fps). 2 GPU ( To handle to graphics of the gaming and video quality for the streaming smoothly and with good quality. 3. The mother board ( For built in wireless wi-fi is what I am currently using. I want decent ping and no packet loss. I want good communication through out the different parts, but I want to pay much less for this because it does not effect gaming and streaming as much as the first two. 4 Ram ( I can not have too little processing memory for gaming and streaming because it needs to run smoothly to to lag, but I do not need a lot more than required. 5. PSU ( I need enough power to supply to all the parts operating. This part I am more confused about and need clarification and more guidance for the best choice. I do not want to have to little wats, but I do not want to overpay for wats that I will not use. I am not sure but I think I read that, if you have more watts than used then your PSU runs more efficiently and saves power. I want to balance the watts between having enough to be safe and not damage anything and also saving energy, but also not over paying to waste money or power. 6. SSD ( I want fast start ups and boots to operate programs and the system faster, so I prefer SSD over Hard Drive. The storage I will use is very little maybe 2-4 games and streaming applications and lastly the internet, so a 500 GB SSD is more than enough. 7. The mid-tower case ( I got a cheap one with a design I like. Why? because it has a lot of RGB colored fans and has clear glass to see all the parts, the RGB makes the separate parts appear to stand out and more contrasting in a good way. To conclude, I want to stay in that price range and buy the most efficient and optimal parts by paying for the best money to power/processing ratio. I will use this desktop productively as in I am very competitive and serious in a fun and meaningful way when it comes to the games I mentioned previously which I want to stream. The dream is to have the best desktop possible with the reasons listed, so I can become really skilled at gaming and stream my experiences to share how to improve your gameplay and also to have fun and entertain a possible community of supportive followers. ( Also my nearest Micro Center is Chicago). Last question would be how difficult would this project be to be complete by myself with no previous experience building computers, and would it not be worth it to read books, guides videos and such to figure out how to properly build a desktop. If not worth it, would it be better to have someone else help me build it or the last option to get a prebuilt desktop for gaming and streaming. This means so much to me because I just graduated and have to work really hard so I want to reward myself with the best desktop I believe I happily deserve.  Any help is tremendously appreciated !  :)o:)            

Comments

• Hello @Sylvec thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Your PC build and parts look good, especially for streaming. The only thing I'd recommend to think about is going with the Nvidia RTX 2070 over the RX 5700. Not saying the 5700 is a bad card, but the 2070 seems to be more dependable. 
    You may want to increase your 512gb SSD to 2tb or purchase an external or internal secondary 2tb drive later. That way you have extra storage for your games and streaming content.  Also for the Ryzen 7 3700x you may have to update the bios with a AMD 2nd gen cpu for the Gigabyte B450, unless the box says its 3rd ready. If you don't want to work with updating the bios, go with the ASUS x570 Tuf motherboard for the Ryzen 7 3700x. You shouldn't have to update the bios.
    Below are some links to give you insight on building your first pc.  I'd recommend to watch these videos and look over some of the articles. I think you'll find its not super hard to put together a personal computer (PC). 

Good luck.

Links (You may have to copy and paste the link into a browser):
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/no-post-system-wont-boot-and-no-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1575220/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npGL2-pRXlU 

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/12/22/build-pc-tips-computer/ 

https://www.pcbuildadvisor.com/how-to-build-a-computer-step-by-step-infographic/ 

• TSTDavey  Lets say I want to reduce the price to the sweet spot $1000. Which parts should I change while keeping as much power as possible and not bottle necking.
  • And also if I have a SSD included, do I also need a hard drive ?
  • Sylvec said:
    And also if I have a SSD included, do I also need a hard drive ?
    That's up to you really, it depends on how much storage you need / what sizes of drives you pick out. 
  • Ian 
    https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=e20d75d2-2039-41a9-a4b5-2ce8c7f93fdc I finalized my build because I want these parts more than any other (specially the CPU and GPU). I want the Ryzen 5 5600X CPU and the 2060 Super GPU. Both seem to be extremely difficult to find due to them always being out of stock at each different seller . This build sits at $1300. The second build I changed the CPU to the Ryzen 3600. As for the GPU, a more accessible higher mid end would be 5700, on the lower mid end a normal 2060 or 5700 being around $1100 - $1200. I also found every place to be overpriced including Amazon by a lot, with exceptions being Micro Centers and Best Buy offering reasonable prices. Even though those two offer reasonable prices, the parts are out of stock and not available with no information on when they will be which is very frustrating. The downfall for Micro center under Best Buy is that, Micro Center does not offer shipping. I about an hour away from the nearest Micro Center in Chicago, so I can not check daily or weekly when the parts I specifically very much want are available.
  • @Sylvec the new updated build looks good. There is a GPU shortage across the entire industry. Unfortunately because of this, premium prices for GPUs may be online with Amazon, newegg, etc. and local retailers continue to struggle to restock a good amount GPUs like the 5700 XT for consumers. This is frustrating everyone including retailers. The Cyberpunk game is out now so everyone is trying to purchase GPUs for that as well. With you being an hour away you literally have to be in the store when the delivery truck arrives at the store to see if it has GPUs. And if it does, the in-store customers will grab them within minutes. Then the store is old out. So for a GPU, I'd recommend, if you can, to purchase a GPU online and save yourself the hour trip to where you may not be able to get a GPU from the local store because multiple customers beat you to the shelves and purchased the GPUs. But you are always welcome to visit the store and attempt to get one.  It would be nice if we offered shipping for GPUs but because they are in such high demand, purchasing of these are in store only for Microcenter. Sorry for the inconvenience. 
  • I understand! is there a reasonable prediction when the GPU shortage across the entire industry will cease, and stock and price levels will return to normal? Also normally when Micro Center does not have a supply shortage, do they often carry the Ryzen 5 5600X CPU, and the 2060 Super GPU ?

• And also it would be a very customer friendly feature if, I could reserve parts from a custom build. Thus When I would spend 2 hours driving to and from Micro Center I would securely know that I would get what I came for, and not have to worry about wasting my time. I understand first come, first serve, but it would be a really thoughtful and helpful service that Micro Center should consider! In compensation for Micro Center not shipping , reserving parts would be the solution for reliably getting what people want consistently and securely. Maybe consider this idea and share it with managers! 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99