5800x
Asrock B500M Steel legend
Noctua NH-U14S
Previously build:
1600x
Asrock ab350M Pro4
Reference Powercooler 5700
16 GB EVGA DDR4 3200 mhz

I pulled my 1600X, RAM and gfx card from the old build, dropped into the new mobo, booted fine. Updated to latest bios.
Swapped the 1600x for the 5800X, and the system will not post. LED on the mobo indicates VGA failure, but the card worked fine on the new mobo using the 1600x. Unfortunately, the new bios dropped support for the gen 1 ryzen CPUS, so I can't swap the processor back to the 1600x.

Does anyone have an suggestions?

Otherwise, I'm thinking its RMA time  :'(

Comments

• ibanez79
    ibanez79
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2020
    which series motherboard do you have? 
  • Hello @gdodge77 thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. We recommend to bring it to the store for our techs to look at. There's a $40 diagnostic fee. It could be the board and not the 5800 as the issue. You don't want to do an RMA for the 5800 and still have the same issue. Better to have a diagnostic done on it to determine the root cause. 
  • Have you checked the board's BIOS. Out of the box my board could not support the 5800. After updating the board's BIOS everything was fine.

• JohnMagee
    JohnMagee Store Associate
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper Micro Center Store Associate

The b550 board is not compatible with the 1000x series of ryzen processors. I am not sure how it was successful initially. However, I believe it is a driver issue. If the board has an independent flash option, I would perform that. If it does not, I would bring the board into your local micro center to have them perform the update.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99