General Home Desktop Parts

Options
MatthewKeller
edited December 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
Hi all,
I am working on picking out parts to use for an everyday desktop. There won't be much games ever played on it, more working on documents and online teaching. Here are the parts I currently have picked out:
CPU: i5-9600K
Fan: Noctua NH-L9i
Motherboard: ASUS B360 PRIME
Memory: 2x8 GB G. Skill Ripjaws 5
Case: Lian Li 205
I also have an SSD for Windows 10 and an HDD for general storage.

My first question is regarding the possible compatibility issue between the motherboard and CPU. When checking in PCPartPicker, it gives a possible BIOS version issue and I don't have another CPU I would be able to update it with. Is there a way to know if this will be an issue before buying it or a way to get it updated in-store? Likewise, I would like to use multiple monitors with the computer. I did some searching and it sounds like dedicated graphics is the way to go for this. Would a simple, cheap one be able to get the job done or what would be best for my situation? Recall this is for small load use and no gaming.

Edit: Here's a link to the part list https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=5f36a068-c11e-44eb-ad50-6111c4ef74a7. I don't have a specific budget set but I would like to keep it maybe less than $800 if that seems reasonable.

Comments

• Ian
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am working on picking out parts to use for an everyday desktop. There won't be much games ever played on it, more working on documents and online teaching. Here are the parts I currently have picked out:
    CPU: i5-9600K
    Fan: Noctua NH-L9i
    Motherboard: ASUS B360 PRIME
    Memory: 2x8 GB G. Skill Ripjaws 5
    Case: Lian Li 205
    I also have an SSD for Windows 10 and an HDD for general storage.

My first question is regarding the possible compatibility issue between the motherboard and CPU. When checking in PCPartPicker, it gives a possible BIOS version issue and I don't have another CPU I would be able to update it with. Is there a way to know if this will be an issue before buying it or a way to get it updated in-store? Likewise, I would like to use multiple monitors with the computer. I did some searching and it sounds like dedicated graphics is the way to go for this. Would a simple, cheap one be able to get the job done or what would be best for my situation? Recall this is for small load use and no gaming.

Edit: Here's a link to the part list https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=5f36a068-c11e-44eb-ad50-6111c4ef74a7. I don't have a specific budget set but I would like to keep it maybe less than $800 if that seems reasonable.

Hello! That all looks good,
    I am not aware of any BIOS updated needed for this, so that should be good to go.
    The only thing I'd change is to drop the power supply if gaming isn't a focus, you can easily drop down to a lower wattage supply and put that difference in price towards a low-end video card that can easily support 3 monitors. That change can be found on my update here: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=a4c54835-96a7-43cb-ab4e-dcffcb1bd8fd

You can get similar video cards to what is picked out there under $50 that will support 3 monitors, just depends on what ports you'll need which card to get. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99