Build Goals for the New Year

Options
The new year is almost upon us, and with it come new opportunities for upgrades, fresh starts, and overhauls. 

I think it may be time to finally swap out my 7-year-old motherboard/processor, and, with that, maybe rebuild in a nice new Lian Li case.

Y'all got any big plans for your PCs this year? New builds you want to undertake? I might finally learn what this "cable management" thing is and why its important.

Comments

• Ian
    Options
    Well, I just built a system at the start of this year, still want a 3000 series card, but who doesn't? 
  • TSPhillipT
    Options
    Rather than my PC, more like my setup

Would love to swap my monitors out for some 27in monitors on a dual arm mount and maybe rotate my 24'' for a vertical one.  Just need to figure out desk space... I don't want to put my PC on the floor but it would be hard to put two 27''... would require some big room moving and such.

Also a big opportunity to clean up my cables, as much as I love cable managing my PC (this isn't ironic, I actually like doing it), I loathe cable management for external cables.  
  • pdegan2814
    Options
    I'm hoping to re-do my gaming PC this year, but it's not gonna be cheap. Thinking of building it around a Ryzen 5 5600X, not 100% sure on the gpu yet. My monitor is 3440x1440, not sure if I can get away with an RTX 3070 or if I'm gonna need to go up to the 3080 to be satisfied. Basically all I'd be keeping is the case & power supply(plus the external peripherals, of course), and the optical drive that I still use on occasion.
  • LB3
    LB3 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer First Comment Name Dropper
    Options
    I had planned to upgrade, or rebuild, my system later this year but I found an Open Box i9-10850K at my local Micro Center... well, 2 impulse purchases later and I've already got my CPU and motherboard.

This is a major upgrade from my i5-6600K/Z170 system. Next up is the graphics card whenever availability increases.
  • didgiee
    Options
    I am hoping  to finish my Gaming PC this year, I have been waiting for a 3080 or 3090 to become available since October 2020
  • JS_MC
    Options
    @didgiee We're in the same boat, my friend. In this together. Hopefully, we can find one soon!
  • Paul_2
    Paul_2 ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Sorry about the necro but I'm new to the forums, so getting caught up!
    I don't usually do an entire system as once, but add to it or replace things over time...
    I was NOT planning on upgrading my Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1 with an I7-5930k, but then something started happening with the power on the mainboard (I'm thinking GPU weight stressing the board), so I did go to a x570 setup with Ryzen but the lack of PCIe lanes (relative to the HEDT stuff) is crippling.  I'd go with a ThreadRipper 3xxx setup if they had a cheaper model comparable to the Intel 10980xe, but they don't!
    So, I've got the Gigabyte x299 designare ex, and I'm waiting for the Tustin store to restock the 10980xe.
  • Paul_2 said:
    Sorry about the necro but I'm new to the forums, so getting caught up!
    I don't usually do an entire system as once, but add to it or replace things over time...
    I was NOT planning on upgrading my Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1 with an I7-5930k, but then something started happening with the power on the mainboard (I'm thinking GPU weight stressing the board), so I did go to a x570 setup with Ryzen but the lack of PCIe lanes (relative to the HEDT stuff) is crippling.  I'd go with a ThreadRipper 3xxx setup if they had a cheaper model comparable to the Intel 10980xe, but they don't!
    So, I've got the Gigabyte x299 designare ex, and I'm waiting for the Tustin store to restock the 10980xe.
    No worries!

But also, same! I have the same rig from 2015ish and have just been slowly replacing and over the years. Why rebuild when you can replace?
  • Ian
    Options
    LandShark said:
    @didgiee We're in the same boat, my friend. In this together. Hopefully, we can find one soon!
    This ^
  • Paul_2
    Paul_2 ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Ian said:
    LandShark said:
    This ^

Mods:  Not sure if discussing interest rates counts as political, or violates any rules, but please feel free to delete this if it does.
    I have that sinking feeling it's going to be awhile.  Until the Fed lowers interest rates, the "irrational exuberance" in the stock market (Tesla, Game Stop, etc) and cryptocurrencies (Doge Coin even !?!?) will continue, and keep the prices above MSRP, and retail availability will continue to be tight.
    I'm not competitive in my gaming, so I'm still satisfied with dual 1080 TI's.
    Tustin Microcenter restocked the I9-10980xe and I got one on Friday!  I've got my board arriving today, and I feel like a kid at a December holiday now, chomping at the bit to tear down my tower and upgrade!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99