Is it Micro Center’s intention to get out of matching prices by using technicalities?

Options
This KB article says that a price match can be done based on the model number: https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/6-do-you-price-match

Here was my experience at the Fairfax VA store today: I asked the cashier to match the price on a $24.99 item (your SKU 950865), that was $19.47, shipped from and sold by Amazon.  Despite the fact that the model number matched exactly, the packaging was clearly identical from the pictures (it literally looks like the same picture on both websites) I was initially denied the price match because Amazon chooses to display an ASIN number, and not a UPC number. I had encountered this problem while researching the product, wanting to be sure I was comparing the same boards, and discovered that there are ASIN to UPC converting web sites. I used one to show the cashier, and manager that I was then talking with, that the ASIN converted to the matching UPC, and that the products were in fact the same. This was ignored and I found myself arguing with a manager and holding up the line for a $5 price match request.  The manager then said that she would give me the price match this time, but that she shouldn’t. I wasn’t asking for an exception to be made, I was asking to be treated fairly.  Does this represent new policy for Micro Center?  The cashier claimed that the policy has been to only match price if the UPC is displayed and matches for several months now.  Unfortunately I had not found the above KB article at the time of this incident.

Answers

• JS_MC
    Options
    Hello @Jeff75040
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The KB article that you have referenced does list things correctly. We are required to match the following:
    • Competitor must list the exact same model number and/or UPC number
    • Competitor must have the item in-stock. If the item is available for shipping, it must be sold and shipped by the competitor directly and not a third-party listing.
    To my knowledge, this has been the policy for quite some time. I've not known this to have changed for the past 3 years.
    I'm glad to hear that the manager was able to take care of you and make an exception in this case, however, this is not typical.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99