Ryzen 3/G, 5, 7 and 9 Explained|What does it mean?

If you're part of the PC Master race, you've probably built your own PC before. One of the hardest things to do is find the parts for it. I usually don't know what processor to pick. I go around and I see Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 and I ask myself: "What do these numbers mean?" Well I'm going to explain that to you guys.

Let's start with Ryzen 3. Most of the time, when a CPU has "Ryzen 3" behind its number like 3100 it means it has 4 cores. (when it says a number after "Ryzen" like 3 the number of cores will usually be the number right after like 4). Ryzen 3 processors are usually the the series of processors that will have APUs in it. More on that later.

Here we enter the budget area of Ryzen 5. These processors are the most commonly bought since they have 6 cores which is just right for gaming. They also aren't as expensive as the higher end CPUs with eight cores or sixteen cores which make them a bang for the buck.

Now we see Ryzen 7, the powerhouse CPU series. Ryzen 7 is known because of how affordable it is compared to Intel's Core i7. It has eight cores and is great for productivity like graphical design. It is one step down from being the greatest CPU on the consumer side of AMD (excluding Threadripper).

Ah, Ryzen 9, land of the overkill. Ryzen 9 is a very powerful sixteen core cpu for it's size. One of the latest Ryzen 9 CPUs holds the name as most powerful CPU in the world at the time of writing this. That CPU is the Ryzen 9 5950X.

Here comes the G series, the APUs, they are the Ryzen processors that have integrated graphics. They include the Ryzen 3 3000G, 3200G and 3400G. Each one having better graphics. They definitely not the most sold AMD processors but they are sold in some rather small quantities.

That is it for today but I do hope to see you in my next discussion/educational paragraph. See ya!   
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99